Doubt in Query..

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doubt in Query..
# 1  
Old 10-28-2013
Doubt in Query..

Hi all..

I have a shell script in which I have a line

Code:
while read -u3 line; do
read -u3 line

Can someone please let me know what does that u3 denotes?

Thanks in advance,
Sathya V.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 10-28-2013 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: code tags
# 2  
Old 10-28-2013
Quote:
The option -u can be used to specify a one digit file descriptor unit unit to read from. The file descriptor can be opened with the exec special built-in command. The default value of unit n is 0.
Ref. Korn Shell 93 man pages.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt..

Hi experts, In one of our code we have used some command like this. name=${name##*/} Can someone please let me know what exactly it does? Thanks & Regards, Sathya V. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Doubt

How to create a file with specific size in RHEL6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sashi Kanth A
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

doubt

I need help in opening the .exe files in linux. As i have downloaded ubuntu os from trail version. after executing the the file name in terminal it is stating that get archive files for opening the .exe files. But i am unable to get it please help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwanthguru
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt

Hi, Can i use the shell script like this? When i am running the script it is hanging not giving me any output. I can redirect the output and then i can do the manipulations also but why this one is wrong. I am confused we can do like this or not.. #!/usr/bin/ksh for line in `top` do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt on name

HI, Iam jus tin a confusion that solaris and unix are the same.if they are diffrent,how they are?pls give me a brief idea abt these two. I will be very grateful to you thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shruti_mgp
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question