who am i showing clients hostname not ip?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers who am i showing clients hostname not ip?
# 1  
Old 08-08-2011
who am i showing clients hostname not ip?

i have two solaris 7 machines, host1 and host2 - host2 was "created" from host1 by using ufsdump/ufsrestore.

on host1

> who am i
user1 pts/175 Aug 8 11:22 (192.23.128.12)

on host2

> who am i
user1 pts/4 Aug 8 11:19 (coscwm5643_w764.xxx.mmmm.com)

what would be cauing host2 to show the clients hostname vs its IP?
# 2  
Old 08-08-2011
Just a guess but is there an entry for coscwm5643_w764.xxx.mmmm.com in /etc/hosts on host2?
# 3  
Old 08-08-2011
the client doesnt have to be in the /etc/hosts file. turns out it has to do with
/etc/nsswitch.conf having "host file dns" in it.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

2. Programming

Clients - Server ( UDP )

Hello, I have a question: I want to create a n client to one server connection. This is the client-server algorithm. Enybody help to make the changes? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaHmur
0 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

4. Programming

forking for multiple clients

hello everyone, i am making a tcp chat server using c in linux. i have used socket programming to connect the server and the client. can anyone please let me know how i can use forking for multiple clients?? thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sweetbella
1 Replies

5. AIX

nimsh configuration on the clients

Hi, I do not want to use rsh to install and push software on my clients because we are trying to increase the security in our company. I setup nimsh (nimconfig -c) on my master (6.1TL6SP6) without any errors. I install openssl on my client (5.3TL12SP3) and ran nimclient -c as indicated in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cforget2810
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

is this enough for a webserver of 200 clients

Hi all, This is my server configuration. Hard Disk - 500 GB RAM - 3GB Processor - intel core 2 quad ( 4 numbers). each one of four cores. We have an application hosted thorough tomcat and accessed via apache through mod_jk connector. There would be around 200 clients... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Jumpstart Multiple Clients

We have a WAN boot jumpstart server which works fine .. we have a requirement wherein we would require to jumpstart multiple sparc servers simultaneously, Whats the way .. so that we do not have to wait for a cleint to complete the installation before starting with another server. Any help would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Benchmarking a new Solaris, with four different clients

Good morning, for the impatient: I have a new backup-server and need to monitor, what the machine can do, what's the best way of finding that out? I will tell the story right from the beginning, so you have a clue about what's going on: I have a setup of three machines: A new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

10. Linux

BOOTP on HP Thin clients

Please m new around here! Can anyone take me thru implementing bootp on my thin clients via my central server? Preciate ur assistance. Thanks folks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuk_uka
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question