Grep multiple lines and save to a file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep multiple lines and save to a file
# 8  
Old 09-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Dragon
Is that bourne syntax?

No, it's bash or ksh93, not even POSIX.

To do the same thing in any Bourne-type shell:

Code:
case $line in
    44*) filename=`printf "%s\n" "$line" | cut -c 3-9,126-133`
         ;;
esac

Last edited by cfajohnson; 09-02-2009 at 11:28 PM..
# 9  
Old 09-02-2009
oops! sorry I let the sh's shebang, but of course it's strict bash.
# 10  
Old 09-03-2009
Thanks and very kind of you all
# 11  
Old 09-07-2009
Thanks a lot sirs, it is working well
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines, sort it and save it as file itself

Hi, all I have a csv file that I would like to remove duplicate lines based on 1st field and sort them by the 1st field. If there are more than 1 line which is same on the 1st field, I want to keep the first line of them and remove the rest. I think I have to use uniq or something, but I still... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep multiple lines from a text file using another text file?

I would like to use grep to select multiple lines from a text file using a single-column text file. Basically I want to only select lines from the first text file where the second column of the first text file matches the second text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines in a file and save the file with same name?

I have a text file which has blank lines. I want them to be removed before upload it to DB using SQL *Loader. Below is the command line, i use to remove blank lines. sed '/^ *$/d' /loc/test.txt If i use the below command to replace the file after removing the blank lines, it replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut lines from log file and save it another file

Dears, i want cut the lines from a log file. Example of the log file as follows.. May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMDeliverContrUtil isDeliverSM FINE: May 27, 2011 5:54:51 PM com.huawei.ivas.utilities.sm.client.SMUtil addSysUpMsgLog INFO: . The message content... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonypalokkaran
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling x number of lines from one file and save into another

Hi, I have a log file (updates.log), and I want to hunt the file for any errors. Here's an example of the log file: SQL> update <table1> set <value1> = '*****'; update <table1> set <value1> = '*****' * ERROR at line 1: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist Elapsed:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbchud
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple lines from a file

Hi, I would like to ask if there is any method to grep a chuck of lines based on the latest file in a directory. E.g Latest file in the directory: Line 1: 532243 Line 2: 123456 Line 3: 334566 Line 4: 44567545 I wanted to grep all the line after line 2 i.e. Line 3 and line 4 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
5 Replies

9. AIX

Grep multiple lines and redirect to file

I have setof files with data and with same fields multiple times in each of the files. for example: file 1 name = mary kate last name = kate address = 123 street = abc name = mary mark last name = mark address = 456 street = bcd file 2 name = mary kate last name = kate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: relearner
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep on multiple lines

I 'm trying to grep 2 fieldds on 2 differnt lines. Like this: psit > file egrep -e '(NS|ES)' $file. Not working. If this succeeds then run next cmd else exit. Pls Help Gundu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
13 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question