Removing last ten characters from a column

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing last ten characters from a column
# 8  
Old 03-23-2009
awk -
Code:
awk '{print substr($1,1, length($1)-8), $2, $3}'  filename > newfilename

# 9  
Old 03-23-2009
Getting closer. Thank you.

The output file is now two lines long though, reading:

Quote:
hsa-miR-517b 0 4.116
hsa-miR-886-5p-4395304
It looks like it performed the task on the first line, then somehow stopped and only printed the first column of the second line and all the other lines are gone. Perhaps it is something to do with delineating newlines in my file and the "awk" commands? (the file is tab-delimited txt saved from Text Editor in Mac OS).

(I'm working with biological data, I'm a reasonably intelligent person trying to work with large datasets but I am not a programmer. Solving these issues with programming instead of manually saves many, many, many hours for myself and coworkers so I appreciate the assistance).
# 10  
Old 03-23-2009
If your file is tab-delimited:

Code:
sed 's/\(.*\)-[^\t]*\(.*\)/\1\2/' file

If your sed version doesn't support the "\t" as a tab character type <Ctrl-v><TAB> instead of \t.

Regards

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use regex on particular column (Removing comma from particular column)?

Hi, I have pipe separated file which contains some data having comma(,) in it. I want to remove the comma(,) only from particular column without changing data in other columns. Below is the sample data file, I want to remove the comma(,) only from 5th column. $ cat file1 ABC | DEF, HIJ|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last and first characters in a file

bash-3.00$ cat temp.txt ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/ces.war/WEB-INF/classes/reds/common/environment.properties ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/commonproperties/hi/HostIntegration.properties... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing x'0A' characters.

I am trying to remove trailing carriage return (x'0a') from a source program. What is a good way to do this for the whole file? TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the first character from the fourth column only if the column has four characters

I have a file as follows ATOM 5181 N AMET K 406 12.440 6.552 25.691 0.50 7.37 N ATOM 5182 CA AMET K 406 13.685 5.798 25.578 0.50 5.87 C ATOM 5183 C AMET K 406 14.045 5.179 26.909 0.50 5.07 C ATOM 5184 O MET K... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasanabdulla
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^M characters from a file

Hi, I want to removing ^M characters from a file and combine the line with the next line. ex: issue i have: ABC^M^M DEF solution i need: ABCDEF I found that you by using the following command you can remove new line characters. tr -d '\r' < infile.csv > outfile.csv still... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing characters

Hi all, Any help on how to do the following? :eek: I have an infile as follows: _thisishowyouwritehelloworld _thisisalsohowyouwritehelloworld2 I want to delete the characters from "_" to "how" and be left with: youwritehelloworld youwritehelloworld2 I am able to do delete from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Removing ^D and ^H characters

Hi, I have a very huge file and it contains some unprintable characters like ^H and ^D. If I try to remove using cat test1.ser| tr -d '\136 110'>newfile1 it is only removing ^and all spaces in the file. How can I remove these characters (^D ^H) and keep my spaces as it is? Thanks &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing characters like ^M

I have few files in unix which are in dos format. While I am copying these files, ^M, ^@, etc characters are being generated. I tried dos2unix command in Linux and it doesn't work. I tried sed to remove these characters but they won't go. I came to about this 'tr' command and tried to use it... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
16 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question