Appending same tring to multiple files in one line?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending same tring to multiple files in one line?
# 1  
Old 03-13-2009
Lightbulb Appending same string to multiple files in one line?

I have a string that I need to append to 3 files.
Say,
Code:
$ echo "Hello"

I want to append this “Hello” to three files, file1, file2 and file3.The files are all in different directories and the file names have no common pattern.Can I do it in one line? If yes, how? Smilie

Last edited by zombiezparadize; 03-13-2009 at 03:58 AM..
# 2  
Old 03-13-2009
Code:
echo hello |tee -a /tmp/file1 file2 /other/file3

# 3  
Old 03-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikxik
Code:
echo hello |tee -a /tmp/file1 file2 /other/file3

Aah! Thanks a lot!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending different columns of multiple files in awk

Hello All, I have three input files cat file1 col1|col2|col3 a|1|A b|2|B cat file2 col1|col2|col3 c|3|C cat file3 col1|col2|col3 d|4|D e|5|E i want below output file4 col1|col2 a|1 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: looney
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending multiple files through UNIX

Hi All, I have requirement where multiple csv files are present in a directory and each file contains a header.I need to append the contents of all the files into one file by removing header. Once the data is merged in one file ,I need to remove duplicates on nth column to find out distinct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying multiple files and appending time stamp before file extension

Hi, I have multiple files that read: Asa.txt Bad.txt Gnu.txt And I want to rename them using awk to Asa_ddmmyytt.txt and so on ... If there is a single command or more efficient executable please share! Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending multiple files

I am trying to append multiple files in a directory cat /a/file1.txt /a/file2.txt /a/file3.txt /a/file4.txt > /a/file.txt Except file2 every other file is appending. I interchanged file names and ran the command. Whatever file repeating in the second position is missing in output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending a blank line for a group of files at the end

hi, i m having a group of files starting with name 'Itemdelete<timestamp>' . my requirment is to append a blank line at the end of files ,using unix in all the Itemdelete* files with a single unix command without using scripts.can any body put some light to this requiremnt. regards Angel (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing and appending data in multiple files

Hello, I have a some files that look like this: 0 3 1 5 2 8 3 7 I want to reverse and append the data so it looks like this: 3 7 2 8 1 5 0 3 0 3 1 5 2 8 3 7 I first thought about using cat and tac cleverly with some redirection and pipe in a one-liner but I couldn't get it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigfoot
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk;sed appending line to previous line....

I know this has been asked before but I just can't parse the syntax as explained. I have a set of files that has user information spread out over two lines that I wish to merge into one: User1NameLast User1NameFirst User1Address E-Mail:User1email User2NameLast User2NameFirst User2Address... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: walkerwheeler
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: appending alternate line after previous line

Hi all, I have to append every alternate line after its previous line. For example if my file has following contents line 1: unix is an OS line 2: it is open source line 3: it supports shell programming line 4: we can write shell scripts Required output should be line1: unix is an OS it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending a line to the end of several hundred files

I have a bunch of files named publish.php within subdirs. I need to append a line at the end of each file. I thought I could do it with find and echo like this: find . -name publish.php -exec echo "<? include('path/to/file.php'); ?>" >> '{}' \; but that appends the line to a file named {}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surroscape
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question