Sort top 5 files by FileSize

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort top 5 files by FileSize
# 1  
Old 09-19-2008
Sort top 5 files by FileSize

Hi All,

i have one simple question on unix command. I have number files under one directiory and includes sub directories as well. Here, i need to find top 5 files whose sizes are big when compared to other files in ascending or descending order. please note that i need unix command for this requirement. It need to verify in all the sub directories from the current directory.

If anyone answers its appreciated.
# 2  
Old 09-19-2008
Code:
 find . -exec ls -l {} \; | sort -nr +4 | sed 5q

# 3  
Old 09-19-2008
or possibly a little cleaner:

Code:
find . -type f -exec du -dok {} \; | sort -nr | sed 5q

# 4  
Old 09-19-2008
can you please explain me clearly about that functionality as i m new to unix?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add filenames to top of each files in a directory

Hello, I tried different solutions given in various linux portals but no luck.. The directory consists of files with no-extension. Each file has only one line. I need to add each filename to the top of each file so eventually each file will have two rows. Filenames have spaces between words... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record top accessed processes/files

Hello, I have about 100 servers that I'm looking to collect information regarding top files and processes accessed within a 168 hr (1 week) period. Each server has a different purpose and so different installed applications. All servers are running either unix or linux. What would be a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umang2382
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the files based on timestamp and execute sorted files in order

Hi I have a requirement like below I need to sort the files based on the timestamp in the file name and run them in sorted order and then archive all the files which are one day old to temp directory My files looks like this PGABOLTXML1D_201108121235.xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saidutta123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

5. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find top 100 files and move them

i have some 1000 files in my dir and i want to find top 100 files and move them to some other location: below the 2 commands i used, but it is not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv destination - _________>not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv {}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort files by date, not showing files from today

Hi all, i'm new here in this forum. I really like the helpful answers in this forum. Here a short question. For a script i have to sort files by date and exclude the files of the actual date. Sorting the files by date and preparing the output for awk is done by this line: ls -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlosdivega
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list top 10 files

Hello everybody; I am new to unix. Thanks for creating such a informative forum, I wanted to know that how can i list top 10 files in my current dir. which were accesed recently by using ls command. Thank You. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish_1983
4 Replies

9. Solaris

top biggest files

hi all, is there any way how i can output the top 10-30 biggest files for all filesystem? using du -sh * is quite tedious since i have to move from 1 directory at a time. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesize from a file which has the list of files.

i have a file myfile. it has the below entries /temp/firstfile /temp/secondfile and many more.. okay, now, i want to addup all the space occupied by this file hmmm, but i met with a problem in getting each file out. i did a silly command like more myfile | grep temp | ls -ltr and it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question