How to read same line in 2 files

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to read same line in 2 files
# 1  
Old 07-18-2007
How to read same line in 2 files

Hi there

I have 2 files containing lines like this:

d:/bla/bla/bla/bla.ext

I need to read every line in one file and then get the same line from the other file. I think getting this will be enough for me to finish what im trying to do Smilie
The lines contains path to certain files, same path, different file names, the idea is to rename files found on first file to files names on second file.
Help?
It's a bit complicated for me Smilie
If this was allready discused somewhere, i'm sorry and please point that to me Smilie

Thanks in advance
# 2  
Old 07-18-2007
Code:
for i in `cat file1`
do
grep $i file2 
done

kamitsin

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read each line in fileA, replace in all files with matching filename

Hello, I supposed that I asked the similar question but I could not have found it when I search on our forum. EXYU+: EXYU%3A+HRT+1 EXYU%3A+HRT+2 EXYU%3A+HRT+3 EXYU_url: #SERVICE 1:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:http%3A//xxxx%3Ayyyy@mmmm%3A55555/stream/channelname/YYYY?profile=htsp7777.ts #SERVICE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a two files, line by line in UNIX script and how to assign shell variable to awk ..?

Input are file and file1 file contains store.bal product.bal category.bal admin.bal file1 contains flip.store.bal ::FFFF:BADC:CD28,::FFFF:558E:11C5,6,8,2,1,::FFFF:81C8:CA8B,::FFFF:BADC:CD28,1,0,0,0,::FFFF:81C8:11C5,2,1,0,0,::FFFF:81DC:3111,1,0,1,0 store.bal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line of files and call store procedures

Hi, I wish to write a piece of code to read lines of the flat file and cut each lines of record to a variable, then use this variable to pass as an parameter of a Sybase stored procedures, if there are 5 lines of record from the text file, then this stored procedures will be called 5 times.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2011
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read each line and saving the line in separate files

Hi Experts, I am having a requirement like this; Input file EIM_ACCT.ifb|1001|1005 EIM_ADDR.ifb|1002|1004 EIM_ABD.ifb|1009|1007 I want to read each line of this file and pass each line,one at a time,as an argument to another script. eg; 1.read first line->store it to a file->call... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishpanchal85
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read and write files one line at a time.

Hi! All! I am wirting a shell script in which i want to read one line at a time from the file and write it simultaneouly to other file one line at a time. Please let me know about some shell utility which can help me out. Thanx. If further clarifications are needed then please let me know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chopra
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question