question on -exec

Operating Systems Solaris question on -exec
# 1  
Old 01-31-2007
question on -exec

I am having a brain fart. I have a few potential work-arounds, but the fact that I can't get this string to work is urking me.

nodes:
machine1
machine2

#uname -a
blah blah blah solaris 5.9 machine1 Smilie
#pwd
/log/arch

find . ! -newer filename -exec 'rcp -p machine2:/log/arch' {} \;

--> find, from here, all files NOT (!) newer than filename, then rcp said files to remote host. I have tried this w/ and w/out the back ticks.
# 2  
Old 01-31-2007
I believe the format for rcp is
rcp -p currentfile machine:copylocation

so your command should say

find . ! -newer filename -exec 'rcp -p {} machine2:/log/arch' \;

We aren't allowed rcp so I can not test it from my side. But thats the format for a regular copy wich I tested on solaris 9.
# 3  
Old 01-31-2007
We aren't either - but scp fails as well. I could use a loop as a work-around. Ur string doesn't seem to be working. It will grab the 1st file only. Weird.
# 4  
Old 01-31-2007
Do it the other way around:

From machine2:

cd /log/arch

rsh machine1 "cd /log/arch; find . ! -newer filename -print | cpio -oac" | cpio -icdmu -

At least something like this. I cannot test it cause the totally insecure R-family commands are disabled here.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about global environment variables & fork() exec()

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me on my question! I've been doing a lot of reading to try and find my answer... But I haven't had any luck What I'm trying to understand is where a child process inherits global environment variables from? I understand the exec()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using -exec with and without -name

Hi, I need to delete the last N days file using find. I am trying to use find . -mtime -10 -print which lists down required files. but when i use find . -mtime -10 -exec ls -lrt {} \; it gives me all files in the directory including the required files but the required files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_m1986
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question on "exec" command

The following is my bash script ----------------------- #!/bin/bash exec myscript "$@" ----------------------- When invoked, the script "myscript" in the exec command is using the file "/usr/bin/diff" But, I want the script "myscript"to use the file "/home/bin/diff" How can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsoo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking question myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript

I have a question about the following what is the difference between running myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript ? I know that when you just run myscript it will fork a child process and run the script and exits. What does the . myscript and exec myscript do and why is it different and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jlim0930
1 Replies

6. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

-exec cp

Hi, on AIX 6.L I want to copy the result of grep -v to test directory then : `hostname`@oracle$ls -l | grep -v RINT -exec cp {} test grep: can't open -exec grep: can't open cp grep: can't open {} test:°`. Can you help me ? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question-do I pause and exec my shell scripts?

Hi there, I'm writing a script to restore 3 directories and 3 mysql db's every 24 hours. While writing the script, I came across the thought... Do I need to pause between executions? Example: msql restore1.sql rm -Rf path1/* cp -Rf path1/* /restore1 chmod 777 /folder1/cache1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semiotics101
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with use of `` vs exec

Hi all, I had an issue regarding use of `` or exec in perl . `` are considered to be unsafe. Why? In my case an user would be giving some parameters as input and I will form an command of it and execute it using ``. It is important to capture output as i have to parse the output. As well as I need... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharadiaam
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

exec

I have read that exec "replaces the current process with a new one". So I did $ exec ls and after this executed, my shell disappeared. I am assuming that my shell had PID xyz, and when I did exec ls, this ls got pid xyz, and when it terminated, there was no more shell process running, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question