Laptop video problem....

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Laptop video problem....
# 1  
Old 11-30-2003
Laptop video problem....

I am running freeBSD on a Digital (company before compaq) laptop, and it is not displaying properly. there is about 2 inches on all sides of the screen that the display doest stretch to, its a little box in the center of the screen, anyone know how i can fix that problem?? any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
# 2  
Old 12-01-2003
Post the type/model of the laptop for (hopefully) further assistance.
# 3  
Old 12-01-2003
Model of laptop

its a Compaq HiNote VP 700, thanks everyone...in advance of course. Im probably beyond help, lol...
# 4  
Old 12-01-2003
Seems to be a known issue - found the following

Quote:
FROM: Larry S. MarsoDATE: 06/30/1998 09:38:10SUBJECT: RE: XF86Config with DEC HiNote VP700 Notebook - Please help On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 10:08:01AM +1000, ob1 wrote:
>
> I have a DEC Notebook, Model VP700, the manual says it has a NeoMagic
> built in Video card capable of 1042x768 display.
>
> My problem is I cant get XF86(FreeBSD 2.2.5 Wallnut Creek 4CDROM set
> distribution) to fill the screen, all I get is a display area about 6
> inches wide by 4 inches high.
>
> I assume there is support out there somewhere for it, can somebody
> please give me some help as to where to find it?

Unfortunately, 1024x768 will cost you $200. You need the http://www.xig.com
drivers. Or you can wait until approximately December, when a plain
vanilla XF86 driver for the NeoMagic is expected.

Best regards
--
Larry S. Marso
You can read the rest here

This may also be helpful.

Last edited by RTM; 12-01-2003 at 01:29 PM..
# 5  
Old 12-01-2003
i didnt find anything

i went to both of the sites you suggested, they were helpfull, but neither of them really solve my problem, thanks. Im not running a visual GUI, im running it in terminal mode i guess, or text mode. Is there a configuration file i can edit with FreeBSD 5.1 that would stretch the screen maybe?? thanks in advance, you all are very helpfull

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Hardware

Problem with Broadcom BCM43225 wifi interface on an Acer Aspire laptop

Hi This is a question about Broadcom BCM43225 wifi interface on an Acer Aspire laptop I just had a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 on my acer aspire laptop and I am having a difficult issue with my wifi connection. Every time I restart my laptop I get the wifi connection working, but after a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies

3. Hardware

Centos 5.8 video driver problem

i have an older server from about 2001 i was given. i recently lost the OS drive on the system and dicided to go to linux instead of windows. i have tried open suse, centos and both do just about the same thing. they boot fine then they go into installing drivers it hits vidio driver then another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TUX servers
4 Replies

4. Hardware

ADDS Regent 25 video terminal connection problem, help please :o(

Hi all, you may remember that I picked up an ADDS Regent 25 from where I worked a while ago. Well, I've been trying to connect it up to the laptop so that the laptop can act as a server for it. I've just finished making a cable for it, I connected the DB25 EIA loop of the ADDS to a serial... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RetroGamerVX
6 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem setting up SSH keys between my laptop and a server.

This is probably somewhat trivial but it's driving me crazy. I have 6 servers with identical configurations. I'm trying to set up ssh keys between my laptop (windows XP using cygwin) and these servers (rhel). On 5 of the machines this works perfectly, but on one, no matter what I do, it gives me a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Video Encoder 264 does not install, problem with LD flags

Hi all, I have a big problem. I'm trying to install a 264 video encoder (JM 15.1, from H.264/AVC JM Reference Software Download) on OS X 10.5.5. First of all I had to disable static compilation, because of this error: ld_classic: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.oI read about this on some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dorna
2 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

HELP--Redhat on WinXP laptop PROBLEM!!

Hi guys! Need some help here.....trying to install Redhat 8.0 on a laptop that is already running WinXP. Have made a partition with partition magic but when I try to install Linux it just stops at the check partition/ check hard-drive stage. It has happened on two different laptops of different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syrex
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suse 9.0 problem video

i got a NV11 geForce2 100/200 and suse 9.0 pro boot the kernal but then the screen goes blank and nothing else can't install suse 9.0 pro and grabs for this problem x will not come up at all just the boot screen with rez and so on but once i tell it to install thats i have a nec multisync... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3bumbs plumming
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just a video problem

Heya, pals! Would someone give me a clue of whatīs happening in here? I have a SiS 6326 video board installed under a FreeBSD 4.2 system, but i canīt figure out whatīs the matter with its configuration. I just canīt connect to Xserver... Setting the configuration with xf86config at the simplest... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question