dlopen Linux vs. OSX

Top Forums Programming dlopen Linux vs. OSX
# 1  
Old 12-13-2010
dlopen Linux vs. OSX

I've got a C++ program and some plugins ( shared objects ) that I have been developing for Linux. I was originally using and OSX machine to develop and test most of the code.

I use dlopen to open the shared objects and then call methods from them. It behaves differently on Linux ( don't know the version right now, have to check tomorrow ) vs. OSX ( 10.6 ).

The plugins are the same class & methods exactly, except for a method that returns the plugin name ( see below ).

Code:
namespace plugin
{
class child : public parent
{
std::string pluginName()
{
   return "plugin1";
}
};
}

extern "C" void Init( plugin::pluginAPI *pApi )
{
   parent *parent = new child();
   pApi->plugin( parent );
}

namespace plugin
{
class child : public parent
{
std::string pluginName()
{
   return "plugin2";
}
};
}

extern "C" void Init( plugin::pluginAPI *pApi )
{
   parent *parent = new child();
   pApi->plugin( parent );
}

My main() does dlopen on each of them, finds an Init() method and calls the init method for each, passing a pointer to an api class so Init() can give main() back a handle to the plugin ( via the parent base ).

When main() calls parent->pluginName(), on OSX, it always returns "plugin1" no matter which handle is used. On Linux, the same code returns "plugin1" when that handle is used and "plugin2" when that handle is used.

Now, the OSX result seems correct to me, because that .so is loaded first, but I would still expect a dlopen error when loading the second one.

I know the proper solution is to have different child class names in each plugin - that is going to happen at some point, but I still would like to figure out why OSX and Linux behave differently in this regard.

I'm investigating this myself, but was wondering if someone can shed any light on this?

Regards,
RK
# 2  
Old 12-13-2010
Could you post a more representative sample? That's not enough to compile and test and see what you're doing.

Did you declare the function as virtual? You shouldn't try and overload things that aren't.
# 3  
Old 12-14-2010
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the getName() is virtual in the common header.

I'll try to post a buildable example today, I was just pulling pieces out and reworking, because I can't post my exact code here.

-RK
# 4  
Old 12-16-2010
This looks like a scoping issue. If the names of the two classes are identical, depending on the scope of your symbols at compile and link time, when your Init method creates a new object it can either use the methods from its own shared object or from the first one it finds in the symbol table.

Unless you want to always be chasing down weird issues like this from platform to platform and compiler to compiler and linker to linker, you do not want to depend on symbol scoping to make sure you call the correct method.

The easiest solution is to give each child class a distinct name.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flash And Fade DEMO For Mac OSX 10.7.5, (And Linux?).

This is an AT A GLANCE shell DEMO that does:- 1) 10 centred greyscale fades without warning beeps. 2) 5 centred yellow "WARNING!" flashes with beeps every ON state. 3) 5 FULL widowed red "DANGER!!!" flashes with beeps in the ON and OFF states. It assumes that the warning bell is enabled... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

2. Programming

Linux: dlopen fails to find symbols

I've attached a tar.gz containing three tests to demonstrate the problem I'm having. Within the tar are two shared libraries, two test applications, and a Makefile that builds the three tests. The shared libaries are libshlib1.so and libshlib2.so. Both export a function, libFunc, which takes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
5 Replies

3. Programming

Sending emails in C program for multiple machines on Linux/OSX

Hey guys, i am creating a tool that'll run a couple network test, generate a report then email the report. Now i a bit stuck with the email sending part... I tried at first a script which worked on some machines but then it'll work fine on some machine and act up on others... I can't really rely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jess83
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with porting a linux SNC driver to OSX

Hi guys! I'm a regular joe, so this thread might be in the wrong section and if I appear dumb it mostly because I am..and have lack of knowledge about the unix world. :) Please move the tread if needed. To the problem. We are allot of people in the OSx86 community that need a linux driver... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blackshore
0 Replies

5. Solaris

dlopen() on dolaris

Dear experts, please help #include <stdio.h> #include <dlfcn.h> #include <link.h> #include <iostream.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<errno.h> void main() { printf("\n in the main\n"); void *handle; handle = dlopen("my.so", RTLD_LAZY); if( handle ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
2 Replies

6. Programming

dlopen help

//foo.c #include<stdio.h> int pen(int a) { printf("%d",a); } $cc -c foo.c $ls -shared -o libfoo.so foo.o ///////////now libfoo.so formed //i have already designed libfoo.so //main.c #include<stdio.h> #include <dlfcn.h> int main() { (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookforlohith
2 Replies

7. Programming

resolve_symbols: loader error: dlopen:

when i try to run an executable i got the following error message: resolve_symbols: loader error: dlopen: what does this error mean and what should be done to avoid this? with regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

8. Programming

compile error while using dlopen

Hi unix lovers, I am getting error while compile a function which uses dlopen. My code is I am getting error as follows Am I missing something? I think I am missing a lot :-) I am using solaris. Thanks in advance, -Ashish (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
5 Replies

9. Programming

dlopen failed!

I can open my so file successfully by calling dlopen directly in my main function. But if I fork a child process, and call dlopen in child process, it failed! I don't know why. Following is my code: #include <stdio.h> #include <errno.h> #include <dlfcn.h> void childFunc(void) { void... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virmin
1 Replies

10. Solaris

dlopen issue with a dll

HI All, I am trying to use a dll using dlopen but in vain. When I try to ldd that dll it returns no output. Can anybody please tell me how I can load this dll in my process space. PS: ldd -l returns a lot of unsatisfied dependent symbols. Thanks a lot in advance Codeman (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question