matching the content of two files in different directories

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting matching the content of two files in different directories
# 1  
Old 06-19-2009
matching the content of two files in different directories

hi
I need to match the content of two files in different directories line by linee.
if match not found then make the entry in log file.
# 2  
Old 06-19-2009
use sdiff
if it does not suit your need and then let us know what you have tried.
# 3  
Old 06-19-2009
check if any of these are useful: cmp, diff, vimdiff
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & print content of file which is not matching

Hi All I want to compare 2 files using awk and get output of content which is not matching I have 2 files a.txt 123 456 780 143 b.txt A|B|C|167|D|E C|K|D|123|D|E A|B|D|789|G|F C|D|G|143|A|B Not matching line from b.txt O/P A|B|C|167|D|E A|B|D|789|G|F (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines above matching line with content from matching

Hi, I have text file: Name: xyz Gender: M Address: "120_B_C; ksilskdj; lsudlfw" Zip: 20392 Name: KLM Gender: F Address: "65_D_F; wnmlsi;lsuod;,...." Zip:90233I want to insert 2 new lines before the 'Address: ' line deriving value from this Address line value The Address value in quotes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/matching help with long listing of directories

How do I get this to work? cat somefile | grep "-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~" This is the the desired output -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~ I basically want an exact match of the line I am grepping for, the special characters and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 csv files and matching content

Hello, I have the following problem: There are two csv files csv-file #1: aaa1, aaa2, ... aaan aaa1, bbb2, ... bbbn aaa1, ccc2, ... cccn bbb1, bbb2, ... bbbn ... zzz1, zzz2, ... zzzn csv-file #2: aaa1, matchvalue1 ccc1, matchvalue2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghl10000
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Directory Content as You Navigate Directories in UNIX

Hi, Can someone help me figure out how to view directory content while I navigate directories (without having to go to the actual directory and "ls-ing" it)? Is there some keyboard shortcut for this? For instance, it would be useful if I could see the content of a directory when I'm copying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelata
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing the content of two directories

Hello I want to compare the content of two directories recursively to check if the two directories have the same files. How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching content of files in the current and sub directories

Hi I was wondering why command 2 doesn't work like command 1 below. 1. find . -exec grep "test" '{}' \; -print 2. ls -R | grep "test" I am trying to search "test" from all the files in the current and sub directories. What's wrong with my command 2? Thanks in advance for your help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question