truncate/round down 2nd string print both

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting truncate/round down 2nd string print both
# 1  
Old 01-14-2009
truncate/round down 2nd string print both

I have a file with a name and then a number:

Apple 1.1
Apple 1.5
Apple 1.9
Banana 1.3
Banana 2.7
Banana 3.3

I'd like to print out the first string followed by the second number rounded down or truncated:

Apple 1
Apple 1
Apple 1
Banana 1
Banana 2
Banana 3

I was trying:

awk '{print $1 ; printf("%d\n",$2)}' infile > outfile &

but that printed out the number on a new line.

I'm certain this can't be that complicated.

Thanks so much.
# 2  
Old 01-14-2009
Try

Code:
awk '{printf("%s %d\n", $1, $2)}'

# 3  
Old 01-14-2009
Thanks so much. That worked. SmilieSmilieSmilie
# 4  
Old 01-15-2009
Code:
sed 's/\(.*\)\(\..*\)/\1/'  filename

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and print all lines upto another string

Ok I would like to do the following file test contains the following lines. between the lines ABC there may be any amount of lines up to the next ABC entry. I want to grep for the filename.txt entry and print the lines in between (and including that line) up to and including the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: revaroo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to truncate a string to x number characters?

Hello: I have a large file which contains lines like the following: 1/t123ab, &Xx:1:1234:12345:123456@ABCDEFG... at -$100.00% /t is a tab, spaces are as indicated the string "&Xx:1:1234:12345:123456$ABCDEFG..." has a slightly variable number of numbers and letters, but it always starts... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tectona
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

truncate string to integer or decimal

From strings stored in variables, I need to isolate and use the first numerical value contained within them. I will need to know how to produce an integer as well as a floating point decimal. It needs to work on any string regardless of what types of characters (if any) are preceding or following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradlecat
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate all characters and numbers in string - using perl

hi, I have an data from file where it has 20110904 234516 <<hdd-10#console|0c.57,passed,5,28,READ,0,20822392,8,5,4,0,40,0,-1,0,29909,25000,835,3.3,0,0,0,0,implied,0,0,2011/9/5-2:3:17,2011/9/5-2:3:47,X292_0F15,TAP ,NQ09,J40LTG\r\r\n I want to remove characters till #console| i.e want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to print 2nd last word

Hi, I have a file which has the following /usr/new/xyz/abc /us1/neb/yxr/def /usr/bin/cloud1/fgh /net/bin1/txt1/kdq I want to do something like this /usr/new/xyz/abc xyz /us1/neb/yxr/def yxr /usr/bin/cloud1/fgh cloud1 /net/bin1/txt1/kdq txt1 I need to add the 2nd last word to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matbrow
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: round output or delimit output of arithmatic string

I have a file with the following content. > cat /tmp/internetusage.txt 6709.296322 30000 2/7/2010 0.00I am using the following awk command to calculate a percentage from field 1 and 2 from the file. awk '{ print $1/$2*100 }' /tmp/internetusage.txt This outputs the value "22.3643" as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate string variable

Hi, I want to truncate a string variable, returned in the script. In perl I used the below and it worked. BRNo=BR12345 $BR = substr($BRNo, 2, 7) How can I do it in sh. Thanks ! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: script2010
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate Specific Parts of a String

How do you truncate specific parts of a string. Example: 1 This is the string Goal: This is the string As you can see I'm trying to simply remove the first two characters of the string the number one and the space between the one and the word "this." Your help is appreciated. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and print a string from the line below it

I know how to grep, copy and paste a string from a line. Now, what i want to do is to find a string and print a string from the line below it. To demonstrate: Name 1: ABC Age: 3 Sex: Male Name 2: DEF Age: 4 Sex: Male Output: 3 Male I know how to get "3". My biggest problem is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

truncate a string from the end

hi, guys. I have a question. If I have a long string like this: 8.0K:/home/test/brownj How can I get a substring which starts from the last slash to the end of the string, so in this case, it will be brownj Thank you very much for you time in advance -Keyang (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question