printing an xml file in landscape

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers printing an xml file in landscape
# 1  
Old 08-28-2007
printing an xml file in landscape

Hey all,

This is probably a stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer I need anywhere.

I have an XML file that I need to be able to print in landscape because the text goes off the page when I try to print in portrait.

I can't find a way to do this using lp. I understand, from my limited research, that there is some way to tell the printer how to do this but I'm not sure how. Smilie

I'm using SCO_SV 3.2 i386 Unix and my printer is a LaserJet 3800 dn.

Any advice? Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
# 2  
Old 08-28-2007
The fmt command will split lines up to resonable sizes:

Code:
fmt -w 80 myfile.xml | lp

Change 80 to the width you need -- 80 is default on my system. Note -w is for the BSD family of UNIX-es.
Otherwise just use fmt.

Going to landscape mode requires some knowledge about your printer and it's setup. Sometimes you can embed an escape sequence at the start of a file to put the printer in landscape mode. Consult your printer manual.

lp -l <option> may be available for your system as well. Ask your sysadmin how to use it.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 08-28-2007 at 01:25 PM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing delta values of one xml file in other xml file

Hi All, I have two xml files. One is having below input <NameValuePair> <name>Daemon</name> <value>tcp:7474</value> </NameValuePair> <NameValuePair> <name>Network</name> <value></value> </NameValuePair> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
2 Replies

2. Solaris

SOLARIS 10 kyocera Landscape printing

hello does any one know if a command exists for printing lp landscape on a kycoera printer. hp works ok but i cant get kyocera to work thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joey298487
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in Splitting a xml file into multiple and appending it in another .xml file

HI All, I have to split a xml file into multiple xml files and append it in another .xml file. for example below is a sample xml and using shell script i have to split it into three xml files and append all the three xmls in a .xml file. Can some one help plz. eg: <?xml version="1.0"?>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesan kulasek
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the multiple lines of xml tags before a particular xml tag in a file

Hi All, I'm stuck with adding multiple lines(irrespective of line number) to a file before a particular xml tag. Please help me. <A>testing_Location</A> <value>LA</value> <zone>US</zone> <B>Region</B> <value>Russia</value> <zone>Washington</zone> <C>Country</C>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing Landscape to PCL 6 Printer

I've looked around and am able to print landscape to a PCL 5 printer with this command: lp -o landscape -o cpi=20 -o page-right=30 -o page-left=30 -d <printer> <file>. Which gives me a nice 200 columns. But, when I send the same output and the same commands to a PCL 6 printer, it comes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tariqjamal
3 Replies

6. Linux

Landscape printing broken in CUPS?

Hello, I am using version: cups-config --version - 1.2.4 However, when i use the -o land or -o landscape command it doesn't print in Landscape. I have the same problem on another server. (Both running CENTOS). Does landscape printing work in CUPS? Is there a fix? Thanks in an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuaz
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Printing Landscape in Solaris 10

I can print lanscape to a printer in solaris 9 but it won't work in solaris 10 to the same printer. I'm using the same configuration and the same command which is below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. lp -d hp4100 -o "c landscape" filename (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darren.wyatt
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem printing the property of xml file via shell script

Hi, I have a config.xml which cointains the tags like <CONFIG> <PROPERTY name="port" value="1111"/> <PROPERTY name="dbname" value="ABCDE"/> <PROPERTY name="connectstring" value="xyz/pwd"/> </CONFIG> This file is in some directory at UNix box. I need to write a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
4 Replies

9. Solaris

landscape printing

hi everybody , i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to setup printing landscape from Solaris 9 . We have a hp laser jet 1300 printer connected to an hp jetdirect 1.75x print server. We have set it up to print Portrait but not landscape. Is there some sort of generic script I can use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print a text file in landscape

Could someone tell me how to print a text file in land scape. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yxiao
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question