Script to run every 5 minutes

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to run every 5 minutes
# 1  
Old 06-04-2009
Script to run every 5 minutes

Hello all,

I want to run a script every 5 minutes. How to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance
Mrudula
# 2  
Old 06-05-2009
cron is your friend.

Cron from the name Chronos (the god of time)

The cron daemon is a long-running process that executes commands at specific dates and times. You can use this to schedule activities, either as one-time events or as recurring tasks

For commands that need to be executed repeatedly (e.g., hourly, daily, or weekly), you can use the crontab command.

The crontab command creates a crontab file containing commands and instructions for the cron daemon to execute. You can use the crontab command with the following options:

crontab filename installs a crontab from the file

crontab -e Edit your crontab file, or create one if it doesn't already exist.

crontab -l Display your crontab file.

A typical crontab will have system maintenance type tasks but any task can be put into cron.

Each entry in a crontab file consists of six fields, specifying in the following order:
minute(s) hour(s) day(s) month(s) weekday(s) command(s)

10 3 * * 0,4 /etc/cron.d/logchecker
10 3 * * 0 /usr/lib/newsyslog
15 3 * * 0 /usr/lib/fs/nfs/nfsfind
# 3  
Old 06-05-2009
Thanks for the wonderful explanation Rob !! Now lemme try to work it out ...
# 4  
Old 06-05-2009
To choice if you want to execute this script for everybody or for a specific user, that don't need to be the logged user like crontab -e, you can edit the file /etc/crontab. This file is similar similar, but there you have more one parameter, that is the user.
# 5  
Old 06-05-2009
I just tried a simple thing - to display time on the terminal every 5 minutes .. this is my crontab entry for it - but it doesnt seem to work ... y is that?

pwd
/usr/lib

contab -e
no crontab for root - using an empty one
crontab: installing new crontab

crontab -l
0,5,10,15,20 * * * * (echo -n ' '; date; echo " ") > /dev/console
# 6  
Old 06-05-2009
I guess yes...
Maybe no permission. If u syntax is wrong, its make a error in "crontab: installing new crontab".

To execute you script every 5 Min, you can use:

*/5 * * * * command
# 7  
Old 06-05-2009
If I use,

*/5 * * * * /home/shahnaz/abc.sh >> /home/shahnaz/abc.log

I get an error saying like

crontab: error on previous line; unexpected character found in line.

Can you say why it was thrown such error?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job to Run every 2 minutes

Hello Gurus, I want to schedule a cron job which will run every 2 minutes starts at 11:25 AM and 3:25 AM daily. Can you please suggest as how to schedule the job. Thanks- Pokhraj Das (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job to Run for 30 minutes

Hello Gurus, I have a requirement to run a job from cron only for 30 minutes duration daily twice at 8.35 am and 20.35 pm Can you please suggest how to schedule the job? Thanks- Pokhraj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run this grep every 10 minutes and do something based on the output

OS : Red Hat Linux 6.4 Shell : Bash We have a file called status.txt which will have only 1 line. The content will be the string "Processing" for most of the day. # cat status.txt Processing #I want to write a shell script (notify.sh) which will be executing a grep every 10 minutes . ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Sleeper script to run every 30 minutes

I would like to modify the below sleeper script to run every 30 minutes at the 29th and 59th minute of the hour. The below script is designed to run every 10 minutes and send an argument to the other script at a particular hour but i want it to run every 30 mins at the 29th and 59th minute of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senormarquez
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run cronjob for every 10 minutes

Hi Friends, I have a requirement to run the cronjob for every 10 minutes from 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Does the below code works? If not, please advise. * * * * * command to be executed ┬ ┬ ┬ ┬ ┬ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ │ └---------------------------------- day of week (0 - 6) (0 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthbiradar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script continuously for 10 minutes

Hi all!! Im using ksh and my OS is Linux. I want to run a script for ten minutes, starting from my current system time. How to acheive this? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run the shell script for every 15 minutes?

I want to run my shell script for every 15 minutes starting from 12:20AM. I am passing parameter GA to shell script. Does this work? Any one please comment on this? 20 0-23/15 * * * xyz.sh 'GA' > xyz.log 2>&1 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a script everyday between 7 and 8 pm with the time interval of 5 minutes?

Hi, Can someone help me in running a cronjob everyday between 7 and 8 pm with the time interval of 5 minutes in between to repeat that script. The script is so small and I need that to run daily between this time. Please if possible provide me the syntax for this logic. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help howto make a script for Set SNOOP run for 5 minutes

Hi all, I want to monitoring my interface every 6 hours where i want to run snoop command to capture all packet through the interface, so i want running snoop then snoop will run for 5 minutes after that snoop stop then will start again after 6 hours than run for 5 minutes again. thereis any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tindasz
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Schedule to run every 3 minutes - CRONTAB

Hello all, I want to run a script every 3 minutes in os level and to send mail. I scheduled in crontab as 3 * * * * /mnt1/monitorscripts/testdbstart.sh I got mail every one hour and I confirmed that the script is running every 1 hour which doesn't meet my requirment. Where I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashanth_gs
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question