Take 10 user inputs and output to file?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Take 10 user inputs and output to file?
# 1  
Old 03-06-2012
Take 10 user inputs and output to file?

I want a script that will prompt a user to enter 10 numbers and out put them into a file. This what I have so far, but isn't working. I'm guessing it's something easy I'm not seeing. Thanks for any help.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

echo "Enter 10 numbers"
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
do
  read ....  >> numbers
done

# 2  
Old 03-06-2012
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

echo "Enter 10 numbers"
do
  read a
  echo $a
done > numbers

This User Gave Thanks to chihung For This Post:
# 3  
Old 03-06-2012
Awesome. Thanks!
# 4  
Old 03-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlVanDamme
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

echo "Enter 10 numbers"
do
  read ....  >> numbers
done

The highlighted line above may be shortened as for i in {1..10}.
This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:
# 5  
Old 03-06-2012
Oh yeah. Forgot about that too. Thanks.
# 6  
Old 07-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajesuri
The highlighted line above may be shortened as for i in {1..10}.
Is it possible to change the code based on the number of user inputs . For example user will give n number of inputs which needs to be store on a file and perform task based on the values of the file .
rogerben
# 7  
Old 07-25-2012
I'd use a different sort of loop for that.

Code:
N=10

while [ "$N" -gt 0 ]
do
        N=`expr $N - 1`
done

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Password generator with user inputs

Hi, I am new to bash scripting and i wanted to make a bash script that will generate a password for a user. The user must enter his/her name and the url of the site the password is used for. And the script will generate a password with those two elements in the password. So if the url is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kvr123
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to cp files that user inputs

Need a bash script that will ask the user: Which Files Would you like to copy? Then the user would input the filenames (space seperated, all lowercase) The script would then cp each file to /data/backup/ and also wc the files to std output. (to see how many lines each file has) Should go... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Unknown Number of User Inputs in awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I am trying to figure out how to print an output based on user input. For example: ubuntu:~/scripts$ steps="step1, step2, step3" ubuntu:~/scripts$ echo $steps step1, step2, step3 I am playing around and I got this pattern that I want: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Record standard output and inputs made on a session

When using Oracle, we have an option to turn spool on, which records that transactions and output to a file. Any such options on UNIX, where I can get everything I have on my screen into a file? That would be helpful in documenting the OS level changes that I perform manually. regards Roshni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automatically pass 'multiple' user inputs

Hi Everyone, 1) I really cannot figure out how to pass multiple user inputs in a script. really need your help re this. below is the script. ----------- #!/bin/sh # script name: ask.sh echo "Enter name: \c" read NAME echo "Your name is $NAME\n" echo "Enter age: \c" read AGE echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing user inputs into a file

Hi, Am trying to store the user inputs into a file, but the below code will store only the first line of the values. I need to store all the user input values which may contain one or more lines. Thanks in advance. echo "please enter file names"; read name; echo $name>/tmp/test (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate user's inputs.

Hi Friends, I am wrinting a shell script MorningChecks.sh which will call another script StartServer.sh. But the latter script requires user's inputs to complete. I want to automate this. So can you please let me how this can be achieved? Any help would be highly appereciated. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: singh.chandan18
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting A Source File With User Inputs

I need to write what I thought would be a fairly simple 2-line UNIX script. It can be written PERL, csh, ksh...or whatever is easiest. The entire script will be: Begin Scipt source MySourceFile execute MyExecutable.exe End Script The problem is that MySourceFile can not be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MMorrison
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument to shell script that reads user inputs

Hi, Lets say I have a script "ss" which does this read abc echo $abc read pqr echo $pqr Now if I want to pass and argument to only "abc" how do I do it. If I do echo "somevalue" | ss, it does not prompt for pqr and its value comes out as blank. Any help is appreciated Thanks P (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patjones
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

limiting data inputs for the user

if my user has to enter the name of months to carry out a search how can I limit the input values to only the month names and nothing else? so far my input criteria for the user is this: i would like it so the user can only enter the months in the way i have stated. otherwise they would... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
11 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question