check line by line in a file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check line by line in a file
# 1  
Old 11-02-2008
check line by line in a file

Hi there

How can I check line by line in a file?

I need to compare the first value with the second to know if they are equal. If those values are equal, I require to send "TRUE" to the output or "FALSE" otherwise until the complete file has been read.

Thank you
# 2  
Old 11-02-2008
Why this code doesn't work?

while read first second
do
if "$first"!="$second"; then
echo false
fi
done< myfile.txt
# 3  
Old 11-02-2008
@loperman where is TRUE ?
Code:
while read a b; do test $a == "$b" && echo TRUE || echo FALSE; done < file

# 4  
Old 11-02-2008
Ok thanks, but that code is only working for the cases where a==b, I don't get the FALSE cases

besides how can I send the output to a file? I tried the next line but doesn't work
test $a==$b echo TRUE >>r.txt || echo FALSE >>r.txt
# 5  
Old 11-02-2008
Code:
while read a b;do [ $a == "$b" ] && echo TRUE >> r.txt || echo FALSE >> r.txt; done < file

# 6  
Old 11-02-2008
For some reason I only get the cases that apply to the first part (echo TRUE) and not to the second (echo FALSE).
The same happens if I do this:
test [$a!="$b"] && echo FALSE >>r.txt || echo TRUE >>r.txt
now only the FALSE cases are sent to the file
# 7  
Old 11-04-2008
Code:
# bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (i386-portbld-freebsd6.4)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

# cat file
a a
b c
d d d
1 a
# while read a b;do [ $a == "$b" ] && echo TRUE >> r.txt || echo FALSE >> r.txt; done < file
# cat r.txt
TRUE
FALSE
FALSE
FALSE
#

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/grep: check if line exists, if not add line?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the following as I want to use multiple commands to search thousands of files. is there a way to speed things up? Example I want to search a bunch of files for a specific line, if this line already exists do nothing, if it doesn't exist add it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a character at last line of the file?

this is the csv file. i want to check the last line contains the character N. Record Type#Batch Job ID#Batch Number#FileCreation Date#FileCreation Time#Production/Test Fileindicator#File Character H#0002#0002#20100218#17.25#P#barani Record Type#A#B#C#D#E#F#G#H#J#K#L... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how do you parse 1 line at a time of file1 ie. line(n) each line into new file

File 1 <html>ta da....unique file name I want to give file=>343...</html> <html>da ta 234 </html> <html>pa da 542 </html> and so on... File 2 343 234 542 and so on, each line in File 1 one also corresponds with each line in File 2 I have tried several grep, sed, while .. read, do,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web_developer
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check if a new line has been added to a file?

Have come up with the following but it doesn't seem to work.. Is there some other command i could use to get this to work? OUTPATH=/home/out PARMFILE=$OUTPATH/jobcount_test.txt LOG=$OUTPATH/job_count_monthlymail_log.txt HLOG=$OUTPATH/job_count_monthlymail_hlog.txt # echo " started at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read last line of file to check for value

Folks How best to read the last line of a file, to check for a particular value? This is the last line of my file...... 00000870000002000008 0000000020000 ......I need to check that this line contains '70' in positions 7 and 8, before I continue processing. Regards ... Dave (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

check line in a file

Hi all, How do we check in a file whether a line started with KEYWORD2 is right after the line started with KEYWORD1 for example, this file content: Abcdef gsh iasdi 94945 9085095 lksdjlkj KEYWORD1 skljfi slakjfoi ' opiport sdfl KEYWORD2 ksjflsk jfasope jkdfsk393 89374982 23 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question