Panic: k_trap; unable to freeze processor

Operating Systems SCO Panic: k_trap; unable to freeze processor
# 1  
Old 08-29-2010
Panic: k_trap; unable to freeze processor

I shutdown my sco 5.0.7 machine about a month and a half ago and upon bringing it back up got the following kernel panic:

Panic: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type0x0000000E
Unable to freeze processor 2, proceeding....
Cannot dump ?????? pages (I don't remember how many pages it was)
Dump not completed
Safe to power off
or
Press any key to reboot

After pressing enter to reboot the system comes up fine. I had to shutdown again last week and got the same kernel panic but was able to bring the system up by rebooting after the panic.

I'm only getting the panic when I shut it down and boot it back up and after rebooting from the panic everything is fine. The first time it happened I thought it was a fluke but now that it has happened a second time I am worried. Any ideas??

I do have an IRQ conflict but its been there for the past two years and this problem began recently.

Last edited by powwm; 08-30-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Kernel Panic - Display Freeze/Lockup

Running with RHEL 4.0 ES update 4 (32bit) with the 2.6.11-1226 kernel. During normal operations were enountering a kernel panic which freeze our displays. I hooked up a laptop and captured the following panic from standard output: NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 13, 0000 01013900 00000039 00000328... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnj1965
1 Replies

2. SCO

"PANIC: k_trap" error

hi I've virtualized physical SCO 5.0.6 on ESX 4 according to: Blog du DS45: HOWTO SCO P2V in the real life SCO starts with the network, but during shutdown I'm getting this message: PANIC: k_trap. My /etc/default/boot: # cat /etc/default/boot #ScoAdminInit BOOTMNT {RO RW NO} RO... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

RAMDISK: EOF while reading compressed data ...Kernel panic - Unable to mount root

I was following this tutorial on How install the rpmfusion nvidia drivers in Fedora 13: F13, F12 & F11 Nvidia driver guides - FedoraForum.org Here's the tutorial: And this is what I did: First I executed the following commands: su rpm -Uvh ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyxn3t
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix"

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 10 on my AMD 64 3000+ system. I was playing with grub commands eeprom and bootadm commands. I screwed my boot-file and now am unable to boot the system. Gets error msg as "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix". I booted the system is filesafe and tried update the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

5. SCO

PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E

Hi, i'm another question: I'm a directory /usr/data on my server sco unix 5.0.5: # du /usr/data 4386948 /usr/data I'm tried to connect to ftp directory /usr/data to this server and: PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E Cannot dump 262040 pages to dumpdev hd(1/41):space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sebpes
3 Replies

6. AIX

Processor and processor core

Guys... Hows it going??? I have been going through the hardware spec of IBM system p systems.. and here i am confused for IBM Power 520 Express it says Processor cores: One, two or four 64-bit 4.2 GHz POWER6 with AltiVec™ SIMD and Hardware Decimal Floating-Point acceleration ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
1 Replies

7. AIX

LPAR processor/virtual processor settings

Question is on setting of Physical and Virtual processors for LPARs to make proper use of virtualization capabilities. Environment is a 8-way p570 with 4 LPARs. lparVIO1 and lparVIO2: AIX 5300-04-01 Mode/Type= Shared-SMT/Capped Minimum Processors= 0.10 Desired Processors= 0.50 Maximum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guttew
1 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

k_trap - kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E

HELP is urgently required, I run on SCO Unix 3 and this is the panic message that I get every time that I reboot 10U k_trap - kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E I have checked the swap already having the following results: #swap -l path dev swaplo blocks free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_slb
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
freezestr(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					     freezestr(9F)

NAME
freezestr, unfreezestr - freeze, thaw the state of a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stream.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> void freezestr(queue_t *q); void unfreezestr(queue_t *q); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
q Pointer to the message queue to freeze/unfreeze. DESCRIPTION
freezestr() freezes the state of the entire stream containing the queue pair q. A frozen stream blocks any thread attempting to enter any open, close, put or service routine belonging to any queue instance in the stream, and blocks any thread currently within the stream if it attempts to put messages onto or take messages off of any queue within the stream (with the sole exception of the caller). Threads blocked by this mechanism remain so until the stream is thawed by a call to unfreezestr(). Drivers and modules must freeze the stream before manipulating the queues directly (as opposed to manipulating them through programmatic interfaces such as getq(9F), putq(9F), putbq(9F), etc.) CONTEXT
These routines may be called from any stream open, close, put or service routine as well as interrupt handlers, callouts and call-backs. SEE ALSO
Writing Device Drivers STREAMS Programming Guide NOTES
The freezestr() and unfreezestr() functions can have a serious impact on system performance. Their use should be very limited. In most cases, there is no need to use freezestr() and there are usually better ways to accomplish what you need to do than by freezing the stream. Calling freezestr() to freeze a stream that is already frozen by the caller will result in a single-party deadlock. The caller of unfreezestr() must be the thread who called freezestr(). STREAMS utility functions such as getq(9F), putq(9F), putbq(9F), and so forth, should not be called by the caller of freezestr() while the stream is still frozen, as they indirectly freeze the stream to ensure atomicity of queue manipulation. SunOS 5.10 17 Oct 2000 freezestr(9F)