csh array help!!

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting csh array help!!
# 1  
Old 10-13-2008
csh array help!!

I'm trying call the first item in the array then put it in a loop to call the next items in order.

set $p = (port-1, port-2, port-3, port-4, exit)

<sourcePort>daughtercard:$P[1]</sourcePort>

if ($p == "exit") then
break
else ($p >> 1)

I know the above code isn't correct. I'm just not sure how to get $p to change ports in order until exit.

thanks in advance for your help.

DK
# 2  
Old 10-13-2008

You may have difficulty getting help with csh scripts, because it is not very good for scripting. See these articles for reasons why that is so:
Top Ten Reasons not to use the C shell
C shell problems
Csh Programming Considered Harmful
In a Bourne-type shell, you might do this:

Code:
for port in port-1 port-2 port-3 port-4
do
  printf "<sourcePort>daughtercard:%s</sourcePort>\n" "$port"
done

Or even:

Code:
printf "<sourcePort>daughtercard:%s</sourcePort>\n" \
       port-1 port-2 port-3 port-4

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass C shell array to another C shell script(csh) and shell(sh)

Dear Friends, Please help me on this my script name is send.csh In this i have written the statement like this set args = ( city state country price ) I want to pass this array to another c shell called receiver.csh. and i want to use it in this c shell or how to pass to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

4x4 Array in csh scripting

I am trying to code a 4 by 4 array. However the naming convention is diffrent. Please refer the image below https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Dl0vdjfXtU0/Tnh02_ORJpI/AAAAAAAAAKU/4c2zyFP9IB0/array.JPG I want to name them in order : from 0 to 3 --> (0,0) cell to (0,3) from 4 to 7 --> (1,0)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh array missing some elements

I'm having a problem with this bit of my script. '/tmp/data' contains the output of 'ls -l', and I'm assigning a couple of the columns to an array. The problem is that it line starts on the third line of 'ls -l' rather than the first one. @ count = 7 set line = `cat /tmp/data` while ($count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tkirk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array problems in CSH

Hi all, I want to use some commands and I wrap them into an array, like follows: set ALIAS_AR = ( "ls -ltr|wc -l" \ "ps -ef|grep -v grep |grep tty|wc -l" \ "who|wc -l" ) Then I use a while loop to call every step: set no = 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpltp
3 Replies

8. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define array in Bourne shell , csh & ksh

Dear friends... Kindly if any one can help me to know the differences in definning & retreiving data from arrays in the sh,csh & ksh. I always facing problems in this issue. thanks...:) BR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question