glib-2.22.4 missing after installation?

Operating Systems Linux glib-2.22.4 missing after installation?
# 1  
Old 02-06-2010
glib-2.22.4 missing after installation?

I've installed glib-2.22.4 from source codes and everything seems just fine with these commands, ./configure, make, make install), but glib-2.22.4 is missing after the installation:

[root@cenos glib-2.22.4]# rpm -qa | grep glib
NetworkManager-glib-0.7.0-9.el5
glib2-devel-2.12.3-4.el5_3.1
glibc-common-2.5-42.el5_4.3
glibc-devel-2.5-42.el5_4.3
glib2-2.12.3-4.el5_3.1
glibc-headers-2.5-42.el5_4.3
glibc-2.5-42.el5_4.3
dbus-glib-0.73-8.el5
avahi-glib-0.6.16-6.el5
dbus-glib-devel-0.73-8.el5

I could not understand where it is. Any idea?

Thank you in advance!
# 2  
Old 02-06-2010
RPM only knows about packages that are registered with it's database, and that contains only packages installed using RPM. So if you compile and install a library from source, it won't register with RPM. You'll have to build a package, and then install that. Best way would be to install the source package for glib2-2.12.3, and use rpmbuild and /usr/src/packages/SPECS/glib2.spec as starting points.

Also, if you absolutely have to install a newer version of a library by hand and want to overwrite the old installation, it's sometimes a good idea to remove the old library first. Otherwise, a repair feature could destroy all your effort.
# 3  
Old 02-07-2010
Thanks a lot for the info!

I installed MySQL from source codes, and 'rpm -qa' can find it. Why?

Is glib2 and glib-2.xxx the same package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
RPM only knows about packages that are registered with it's database, and that contains only packages installed using RPM. So if you compile and install a library from source, it won't register with RPM. You'll have to build a package, and then install that. Best way would be to install the source package for glib2-2.12.3, and use rpmbuild and /usr/src/packages/SPECS/glib2.spec as starting points.

Also, if you absolutely have to install a newer version of a library by hand and want to overwrite the old installation, it's sometimes a good idea to remove the old library first. Otherwise, a repair feature could destroy all your effort.
# 4  
Old 02-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aixlover
Thanks a lot for the info!

I installed MySQL from source codes, and 'rpm -qa' can find it. Why?
If you installed it from a src RPM, I think that counts...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies

2. SuSE

How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello, This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming. I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 Installation - Disks missing, and Raid

Hey everyone. First, let me start by saying I'm primarily focused on linux boxes, and just happened to get pulled into building two T5220's. I'm not super educated on sun boxes. Both T5220's have 8 146GB 15k SAS drives. Inside the service processor, I can run SHOW /SYS/HDD{0-7} and they all come... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
2 Replies

4. Linux

glib-devel-2

Hi I want to install glib-devel-2.xx on suse 9 linux. I downloaded from below site, Index of /pub/gnome/sources/glib/2.24 and installed using normal configure,make,make install. Am I correct or something else is required? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
4 Replies

5. Solaris

GLib 2.14.1

Hi, I have downloaded the glib 2.14.1 package from sunfreeware.com and installed it with pkgadd. However, glib-config --version shows the old version which is 1.2.10. I tried using crle but it just blew stuff up. I also tried glib-config --prefix=/usr/local but it doesn't seem to stick. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cshore
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

php-5.0.4 installation: What am I missing?

THE GOAL: To use xsl(t) functions with php. Server info: I'm on dreamhost shared hosting (everybody loves dreamhost) but they don't have php with xsl. What's the deal: I tried to get xsl working using this guide, but then noticed that they were using php4, and so I was like "Ok screw that"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lambyte
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

glib and gaim

i'm trying to install gaim from source on suse linux. it has some problems finding the right version of glib during the configure script. the error looks like this: checking for glib-config... /usr/local/bin/glib-config checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... *** 'glib-config --version'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question