sftp error message VREY VERY URGENT

when one custmer connect using sftp got the following delivery report

can you plase suggest on the issue.

14:04:36 SFTP Delivery properties:
Host: <ip>
Target Folder: </home>
User: <user>
14:04:36 Keys loaded succeffuly
14:04:36 GEN-E-GENERAL, Error connecting to server : Invalid username or password reported by server.
14:04:36 Disconnecting from ip
14:04:36 GEN-E-GENERAL, Error : SFTP connecting to server
# 2  
Old 10-07-2008
Nothing for certain here. This could be either because:

1. The user's name, password, or shell is no longer valid (I suspect you have checked this)?

2a. A global setting has changed to prevent logins (ie, /etc/nologin, /etc/hosts.allow, etc).

2b. A global setting has changed to prevent lookup information from working properly (ie, /etc/nsswitch, /etc/ldap.conf, /etc/yp.conf, etc).

3a. The sshd configuration has changed: the private/public key pair has been regenerated and the client no longer recognizes the server key as valid.

3b. The sshd configuration has changed: the server configuration no longer supports the SFTP module. Check the configuration file for "sftp".

3c. The sshd configuration has changed: the user/group is no longer allowed to access sftp.

4. Finally, if all that checks out, it's possible there's actually a man-in-the-middle attack being attempted. This is rare, but its worth checking out. Make sure the client sees the same server key for your server.
# 3  
Old 10-07-2008
thanks for reply

item 1 i checked no problem
2a in /etc/passwd file the user was mentioned as

user:x:8009:505::/export/home/user:/bin/false

item 3a,3b,3c we are able to connect from other machine to this machine in other user account using sftp

please suggest.... Smilie
# 4  
Old 10-07-2008
Right, so it may be that the shell prevents the user from logging in. Do the following:

1. Create a softlink to /bin/false. Name the new link something like "sftponly". So:
Code:
ln -s /bin/false /bin/sftponly

2. Add "/bin/sftponly" to /etc/shells. So:
Code:
echo /bin/sftponly >>/etc/shells

3. Change user's shell from /bin/false to /bin/sftponly

What will happen is that PAM should allow the user to pass the authentication stages because the user now has a 'valid shell'. But for all other purposes, such as logging in through sshd or telnet or X, it will still not work.
# 5  
Old 10-07-2008
Thanks

if we have put nothig in place of /bin/false whether it works

but it says as

/bin/false disallows login with telnet/ssh it does not disallow ftp/sftp as you only run your shell when you direct login
# 6  
Old 10-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIC1986
Thanks

if we have put nothig in place of /bin/false whether it works

but it says as

/bin/false disallows login with telnet/ssh it does not disallow ftp/sftp as you only run your shell when you direct login
to the best of my knowledge, modern Solaris (2.8, 2.9, 2.10) uses PAM -- Pluggable Authentication Modules. If sshd is set to use PAM (see the sshd.conf file) and the pam_unix module is required for the auth and session parts (see /etc/pam.conf or /etc/pam.d/ssh*) then the shell WILL be checked against /etc/shells.

If you leave the shell field blank, I believe the system will use the default shell (/bin/sh). That might be un-desirable from a security standpoint. But what the hell -- try it and if it doesn't work, then the problem is elsewhere.
# 7  
Old 10-08-2008
thanks Otheus....

now it seems like some pubic key name conflict lets check that from their side ...

once they came back with solution i will get back to you... soon

the server using solaris 9.0

Last edited by GIC1986; 10-08-2008 at 06:17 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File upload message in SFTP

Hi, Below script is running on AIX 7.1 ( 7100-04-05-1720 version ) server. Recently OpenSSH version installed on server got updated from OpenSSH_6.0p1 to OpenSSH_7.5p1 version. After this update we do not receive any file upload message after put/mput command in SFTP. sftp -b - user@server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Juggernaut
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent: Not able to send the html formatted message from mailx

<html> <body style=background-color:AliceBlue> <p>Hi,<pre>please check the connectivity status of the server. <pre> And find the server log file for more details. </p> <h1><font size="4">SERVER <font color="red">111.111.11.1</font> IS NOT AVAILABLE IN ONLINE</font></h1> <font color="red"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

blocking connection message in sftp

when i use below sftp command we get connectuiobn message , is there a way to block it. cnt=`sftp -b 'count.sh' <username>@<password>:/gsmtmeg1/java5/docs/common/ | grep -v '^sftp>' | wc -l`;echo $cnt Output ** RESTRICTED ACCESS ** You are authorized to use this system for approved... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP-how to log individual sftp command error while executing shell script

Hi, I have situation where i need to automate transferring 10000+ files using sftp. while read line do if ; then echo "-mput /home/student/Desktop/folder/$line/* /cygdrive/e/folder/$line/">>sftpCommand.txt fi done< files.txt sftp -b sftpCommand.txt stu@192.168.2.1 The above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobrobot
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does this error message mean?

I was reviewing logs and I got this error message in /var/log/messages: Did not receive identification string from (IP ADDRESS) What does it mean? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Urgent need help - issue sftp

hi experts, i have a problem with my sftp which install on sparc sun solaris os version 5.9, i have install this packages below on my server : libgcc-3.3-sol8-sparc-local openssl-0.9.8d-sol8-sparc-local zlib-1.2.3-sol8-sparc-local openssh-4.5p1-sol8-sparc-local and i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with connecting sftp server(urgent please)

Hi all, I have command to connect gateway server iam in home directory/> ssh root@mrp-gateway root@mrp-gateway:/root> sftp -v msgGoogle@126.132.45.123 sftp/>dir upload --> folder sftp/upload/ls ------------- 8990.txt kittu.txt 8989.txt i have an requirement to print files list which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
2 Replies

8. Programming

URGENT:::Can anybody help me in creating message queue appliction??

hello, I had to implement a message queue application....between 30 processes...... all 30 proceses are getting data from serial port.... And here is THE FLOW::::::::1 connector process...which is linked with message queue to all the 30 applications. Processes get the data from serial port and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message

I am new to scripting. I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' . #!/bin/ksh cd /work/TCI/data_out file=`cat BART.dat` echo "$file" if ; then echo "true" fi When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error ./s.ksh: : not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question