how to close an .app without using Kill

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to close an .app without using Kill
# 1  
Old 03-27-2007
how to close an .app without using Kill

I want to close an application but to kill it seems to me very rude.I want to let it do her things before closing.Any idea? Thanks.

Last edited by Tártaro; 03-27-2007 at 11:42 AM..
# 2  
Old 03-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tártaro
I want to close an application but to kill it seems to me very rude.I want to let it do her things before closing.
What about kill (kill -term)?

Quote from here

Quote:
When killing a process or series of processes, it is common sense to start trying with the least dangerous signal, SIGTERM. That way, programs that care about an orderly shutdown get the chance to follow the procedures that they have been designed to execute when getting the SIGTERM signal, such as cleaning up and closing open files. If you send a SIGKILL to a process, you remove any chance for the process to do a tidy cleanup and shutdown, which might have unfortunate consequences.

Last edited by radoulov; 03-27-2007 at 12:37 PM..
# 3  
Old 03-28-2007
usually I do it in this order to give it a chance to
sort itself out,

kill -HUP pid
kill -TERM pid

it can react to the above in a controlled way.
last resort of course

kill -9 pid
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Wuhan Coronavirus Status App for China - Rapid Prototype using MQTT and the IoT OnOff IOS App

With a little bit of work, was able to build a nice "Wuhan Coronavirus Status" app using MQTT and the IoT-OnOff app. More on this technique here: ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages The result turned out nice, I think. I like the look and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

3. Programming

when parent process close, how to close the child?

can someone provide an example, where if the parent process quits for any reason, then the child process will also close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I quit an app without kill it ?

How can I quit an app without kill it ? I don't want to kill 6123 just to quit that application gracefully. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
5 Replies

5. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Diff b/n kill and kill -9

Hi, I have a process with say pid x. What is the difference b/n kill x and kill -9 x in unix Thanks Ammu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

8. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to kill find with kill -9

Hello everyone I am using HP Ux and had run a find command. Now I am trying to kill it with kill or kill -9 but it is not getting killed and still running. Any clues ? Thanks Sidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question