Make copy of website for developement

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Make copy of website for developement
# 1  
Old 07-14-2010
Make copy of website for developement

Hi Guru's

Trying to make a copy of my website( I have very limited access ie: no shell access.) to a local ubuntu server with full access.

What is the best way to make a copy of my site. I have ftp cli, lftp, wget ... just not sure what to use and how. Want to be able to do a recursive download of directories & files under www directory. No need for the other stuff.

Dj
# 2  
Old 07-14-2010
What kind of access do you have? FTP/SFTP/SCP or just plain HTTP? What's the directory structure? Any dynamic pages (PHP, Perl, Python, ...)? Is there any database or similar which should be included?
# 3  
Old 07-14-2010
copy

It's basically a Drupal site that I want to copy to do some playing around with - I have ftp access to website. I have already copied the mysql Database. So I basic would like to do a recursive copy of everything below /www.

On my local ubuntu server have complete access and have a WAMP server type setup.

Dj

PS. I know hoe to ftp one folder at a time would would like to be able to do all of them at once.
# 4  
Old 07-14-2010
The easiest thing is to make a tarball and ftp that from your server so something like

tar cvzf mywebsite.tgz ./www

will do the deed, then ftp off that mywebsite.tgz file.

If you should ever need to perform a restore, put the mywebsite.tgz back exactly where you found it and do

tar xvzf mywebsite.tgz

Regards
Neil
# 5  
Old 07-14-2010
Something like this should work:
Code:
wget -c -m --user=<user> --password=<pass> ftp://<host>/www

This should (if needed continue to) download a mirror of the page using the specified user and password.

For more details, refer to the man page of wget
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:
# 6  
Old 07-14-2010
nbriscoeuk: unfortunately I don't have shell access to create a compressed tar file.

pludi: wget worked perfectly - thanks Smilie

Dj

---------- Post updated at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:06 PM ----------

pludi: wget does stop after awhile and doesn't get all files...

Dj
# 7  
Old 07-15-2010
What is missing, and are there any messages that seem like errors?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to make an exact image copy of a SCSI hard drive in Solaris 8 OS?

To Solaris 8 Experts, Please let me know what's the best method / procedure as well as the Solaris 8 commands for accomplishing the following tasks on a production Sun Enterprise 250 Server running Sun Solaris 8 Operating System: 1. Make an exact image/copy of the SCSI Hard Drive in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssabet
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make copy of text file with columns removed (based on header)

Hello, I have some tab delimited text files with a three header rows. The headers look like, (sorry the tabs look so messy). index group Name input input input input input input input input input input input... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy directories in make file

LD:=C:/WindRiver/diab/5.9.3.0/WIN32/bin/dld.exe CFILES:=$(wildcard *.c) OBJFILES:=$(subst .c,.o, $(CFILES)) OBJ_PATH:=$(PRJ_PATH)/out/ ADDOBJFILES := $(addprefix $(OBJ_PATH),$(OBJFILES)) FILES:=C:/EB/tresos/workspace/Test_Spi/output/src copyfiles: cp ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ushacy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all .htaccess files and make a backup copy in respective directories

Hey guys, I need to know how to locate all .htaccess files on the server and make a backup of them in the folder they reside before I run a script to modify all of them. So basically taking dir1/.htaccess and copying it as dir1/.htaccess_bk dir2/.htaccess copying as dir2/.htaccess_bk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxx
5 Replies

5. Programming

C program to make an exact copy of the current process in Ubundu

Hi All, I am new to Linux and i need your for a program which makes the exact copy of the running process. I have got some codes but it only works for the first command and will not work for subsequent commands. Means it works for "ps" but will not work for "ps u". I have changed the code to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhash007
1 Replies

6. SCO

Make a Copy Entire Hard Disk

Dear All, I have a standalone desktop with SCO Openserver V 5, this is used to control a machine with custom written software. The problem is that the machine manufacturer has closed shop (bankruptcy) and there is no support on software. As a precaution I would want to make a complete backup of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iqbal_siddiqui
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make copy work faster

I am trying to copy a folder which contains a list of C executables. It takes 2 mins for completion,where as the entire script takes only 3 more minutes for other process. Is there a way to copy the folder faster so that the performance of the script will improve? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

8. Solaris

What are Developement HUFS

What are Developement HUFS and what are they used for ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: innocent
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make a copy of a unix HDD

i have this HDD with SCO 5.0.6 and i'm getting this errors WARNING: wd0: Error on fixed disk dev 1/42, block=4829, cmd=0x000000C8 Sun Mar 11 05:50:08 2007 status=0x00000040, LBA sector=1285723, cylinder/head=5022/0 WARNING: wd0: Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

10. Linux

How to make a tool as 30-days evalution copy

Hi All, I am very curious to know that how to make a product/tool as evalution copy(trail version for 30days). I want to know this implemention process in linux(the tool is in Linux). If anybody have any scripts/articles/ideas please pass them to me. Please help me. Thanks in Advace,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question