Opening a browser

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Opening a browser
# 1  
Old 05-27-2013
Opening a browser

Hi,

I want to open an browser from unix terminal.For example i want to go to google site from my unix cmd prompt what command should i use.I am using korn shell.

Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 05-27-2013
Would curl help achieve what you want?
# 3  
Old 05-27-2013
I am a rookie..can u specify it clearly the syntax...
# 4  
Old 05-27-2013
On your system, enter "man curl" and you should get full information about how to use the curl utility.
# 5  
Old 05-27-2013
what i understood from that is it trys to transfer the given data to speicified url.But all i want is to redirect from my unix terminal to a browser.
# 6  
Old 05-27-2013
There are lots of browsers out there for linux/unix. You'll have to find out what is installed on your system.
If your problem is that you do not have a gui on your system (which is needed for most browsers) lynx is a text based browser.
# 7  
Old 05-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesh
what i understood from that is it trys to transfer the given data to speicified url.But all i want is to redirect from my unix terminal to a browser.
Terminals do not work that way.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who are all opening my datasets,?

Hi, I need a command/script, who opened my dataset, consider a situation like, if a user has opened the dataset few days back then, that command/script should list his/her id. I don't want audit on my dataset, i need only list of users who are using my dataset. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbarao12
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with opening webpage with IP#

Hi, I would like to open a webpage from an IP# from a file. Lets say I findout an IP address from using grep grep John remotecomputers.txt result: 192.168.2.1 Then after that I would like to increment the IP# to 192.168.2.2 from 192.168.2.1 After that I woud like to launch mozilla or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tthach830
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Web browser not opening

On clicking on my WEB BROWSER . no window is appearing , only a dialog box appearing with named "ALERT" any nothing else. What is browser package name , which is by default in Solaris 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kush singh
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Please help with opening a port??

Hello all, I need assistance... I need to open a port # 36677 and have it remain open even after a power cycle. I thought all I needed to do was add it to /etc/services. That was not it... Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Opening CDE

I have installed JASS on one of my sun servers. I am now trying to open for CDE. For that I have done these steps: mv /etc/rc2.d/_S71rpc.JASS.* /etc/rc2.d/S71rpc mv /etc/rc2.d/_S99dtlogin.JASS* /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin but still no CDE. Any advice on this?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening a file

im trying to open a file in my bin directory and the farthest i can get is into the folder but not the actual file itself i use text edit as the editor. when i try to open the file it says it doesn't exist here is what i type cd bin open cmnds (dir. which it is under) open test no such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiei
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening files

I am very new to unix. I want to open a file and read one line in at a time. Can anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saarshad001
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening Files

I'm a new to UNIX/LINUX. I just put cygwin on my laptop and I can navigate around the directories, but I can't open files (.doc, .ppt, .html or .exe). Is there an explicit command to do this? I know that in Solaris when it does not recognize the file, it brings up the list of available viewing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJA
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question