SFTP username

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SFTP username
# 1  
Old 07-15-2010
Question SFTP username

Hi ,

I have an issue with sftp username as i have @ character in the username.

eg: username=abc@123

when i do as below,

Code:
sftp abc@123@servername # Its taking only 123@servername .

Also, i tried following options,
Code:
sftp abc\@123@servername 
sftp 'abc\@123'@servername

Please advise.. Let me know if you require further details.

Thanks in advance,
Mohan

Last edited by Scott; 07-15-2010 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please...
# 2  
Old 07-15-2010
MY only suggestion: create the same username on the local box. Then
Code:
sftp hostname

will work

unix is not picky about characters in filenames or user names, but trying to use those wierd names in scripts or commands gives you heartburn. Your sysadmin should know better.

mmm. edit:
I think it an ssh parsing problem. It expects the first (from the rear) @ to delimit hostname. I can't make it work here either.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 07-15-2010 at 07:50 AM..
# 3  
Old 07-23-2010
Quote:
Also, i tried following options,
Code:
sftp abc\@123@servername 
sftp 'abc\@123'@servername

I wonder what is the outcome if you have used with quotes and no escape character
Quote:
sftp 'abc@123'@servername
This is not a suggestion but curious to know what will be the outcome.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why does "ps -[u|U] username" not list processes when username is numeric?

Greetings, The title pretty much says it all. I've snooped everywhere and can't find anything on this. Since our organization went to numeric usernames, using the u|U option for ps returns no processes. Example passwd entry: 320074:DjZAJKXun8HBs:10129:6006:Joe Y:/cadhome/analysis/jy:/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

2. Linux

Problem with SFTP Command line, "@" in username.

Hi Guys Any help is appreciated very much! I'm trying to use SFTP to an external server using the native SFTP Client in RHEL 6 and 7. I've been given a username on the remote SFTP Server of myemail@myorg.com. I can not seem to escape that @ sign no matter what I do. I've tried these... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to log in SFTP server [with username, password]

Hi, everyone, I am trying to write a script to login automatically using username and password to an sftp server (the key authentication has been disabled so I cannot use that method). I tried to search online for a solution and found a way using "expect" but my boss does not want me to use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: warmboy610
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp : not able to print the echo statements after the sftp transfer

I had the below sftp script working perfectly but the problem is I am not able to send the echo statements . #!/bin/sh echo "Starting to sftp..." sftp admin@myip << END_SCRIPT cd /remotepath/ lcd /localpath/ mget myfiles*.csv bye END_SCRIPT echo "Sftp successfully." echo echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
11 Replies

5. Red Hat

Chroot sftp users, remote sftp login shows wrong timestamp on files

Hello, I have a weird issue, I have RHEL 5.7 running with openssh5.2 where sftpgroup OS group is chroot. I see the difference difference in timestamp on files, when I login via ssh and SFTP, I see four hour difference, is something missing in my configuration. #pwd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Change username

Hi.. I want to change my username, is there any way by which I can do it? Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi Sharma
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP-how to log individual sftp command error while executing shell script

Hi, I have situation where i need to automate transferring 10000+ files using sftp. while read line do if ; then echo "-mput /home/student/Desktop/folder/$line/* /cygdrive/e/folder/$line/">>sftpCommand.txt fi done< files.txt sftp -b sftpCommand.txt stu@192.168.2.1 The above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobrobot
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP with '@' in username

Hi All, Good morning !! I have to connect to a sftp server using following details, 1) username contains "@" as part of it. eg: xyz@abc@servername 2) We have to use password to connect to the server. Could you please advise the solution for this? Thanks in advance Regards, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Login through SFTP using username and password

Hi All, I want to login to a server through SFTP by giving username and password, in an automated script. I know that this can be done through public key authentication, but my requirement is to login ONLY through username and password. I am using GNU/Linux server. Please advise me !!!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
4 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

username

Is it possible to change my username in this site or is thre a way to delete my account and then create a new one with a diffrent user name (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: floresr
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question