Reading tapes from other platform

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Reading tapes from other platform
# 1  
Old 08-16-2005
Reading tapes from other platform

I hope someone can provide some suggestions on my problem.

I'm trying to read some catridge tapes created (tar or dd format) from SUN or SGI onto an ancient AT&T Unix System V/386 Rel 3.2 machine. But everything I tried to read in the tape on the AT&T machine there is this error message "iSBC224a controller 0 tape 0 (No Data Detected)".

The command "dd if=/dev/rmt0 conv=swab | tar xvf -" produces the same error message but I have no problem to read in tapes using the same command lin the other way round (AT&T to SGI or SUN). I'm using the correct media tape. I'm running out of idea on what to do next.

The last idea I have is to put the AT&T machine on the same network as the SGI or SUN but setting up network of this AT&T is a bit complicated since it is not using TCP. Unless someone can guide me.

Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 08-18-2005
You might want to check the man pages for the default block size that dd and tar uses for each system. You may have to specify it on the 'old dog'.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Moving tapes

Hello, anybody out there that is using itdt to manage tape changes in a tape library. The help of itdt show a move subcommand but I can't get it to work. Env: AIX5.3 Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library -> rmt1 Available 01-08-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) # itdt says it finds the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
3 Replies

2. Solaris

ioscan -En how to exclude tapes?

i would like to list all disks, but this command with these options list tapes too. i donīt find out an option which list only the class like ioscan in hp-ux. could anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
2 Replies

3. Solaris

vxdump with more tapes

Hi Community, I've a V440 Sun Server with 2 device tape of 72GB. I have to backup a folder of 80 GB, so I have to use 2 tapes of 72GB (144 GB); If I use vxdump command which are the options that I have to use? When the first tape finishes does the system stop the backup? Please help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get files from sdlt tapes

Hi everybody, I'm new using unix/linux and I have a sdlt tape wich has 2 segy files. I realise the tape isn't tar so when I use dd if=/dev/rmt/*bn of=filename bs=100000 to get the files after 10 Gb for file 1 an error message appear I/O error and I'm sure that I didn't get completly the first... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Titas
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

Help With Reading Partitioned Tapes

I have a bunch of 4 mm DDS tapes that have two partitions. I read them on my HP-UX 10.20 box by referencing the device files /dev/rmt/0m (partition 0) and /dev/rmt/0mp (partition 1). Unfortunately, my HP-UX box was lightning struck last week so now I'm trying to read these tapes using Unix Services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhaverstick
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying DAT tapes

I am looking for a way of making a backup of a system DAT tape onto another DAT tape for security reasons. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnrussell
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tapes

:confused: Hello!! I am a new UNIX user, and I need to back up some files, I have some old ones and I have been trying to delete the old information with 'mt erase' but I don't be sure if it works, and 'mt resert' but the it gave a message suggesting me to use 'scsiha -r' (but the last one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scs
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading and writing SCO DAT tapes uing Linux

Hi, Guys. I've been trying to read and write SCO DAT tapes to my Linux hard disk. I'm using RedHat 6.0 because it is the only version that has device drivers for my SCSI host adapter and SCSI tape drive. When I run the command "cpio -ivt > /dev/st0" I can read the archive from the SCO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tapes

is there a command to check unoccupied space on a tape ? AIX 3.2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

ignite tapes

can any1 tell me how to make ignite tapes for the HP-ux. this company said it was: "make_tape_recovery_A", but that don't work. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBX
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question