Using DD to restore suse 9 image on a suse 8 box

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Using DD to restore suse 9 image on a suse 8 box
# 1  
Old 01-23-2008
Using DD to restore suse 9 image on a suse 8 box

Hello,
We are trying to find a easy way to upgrade our old suse 8 boxes to Suse 9. I have discovered the the DD command that looks to be a way to restore a image from Suse 9 to a box at our other locations.

Question, could I use the DD command to restore a image I backed up from a Suse 9 box onto a Suse 8 box. Both systems will have the same exact harddrive and partition information. And for my testing purposes can I also go the other way. So if I successfully put the suse 9 image on my test suse 8 box, and I restore the suse 8 image back.
Also on the restore from tape would I just do
Code:
gzip -dc /dev/ht0/image.gz | of=/dev/hd0

assuming my tape is ht0 and my partition is hd0.

Only issues I see is that I would need to somehow backup the system network, printer settings and such which maybe a problem with this method and restore them afterwards. Trying to find a method that will have the least involvement possible at the remote locations.

Thanks for any help on this...
# 2  
Old 01-24-2008
The best way to approach this imho is to have a pre-installation script that grabs the configuration information required to support the remote site, an installation image push, which provides for the upgrade to suSE 9, and then a post-install which configures the remote host correctly in relation to the new installation based on the legacy configuration.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

1 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

SuSE 11.4 Filesystem Backup and Restore

Hi, The dump and restore commands are missing from this server under SuSE 11.4 for unknown reasons. What is the cleanest way to backup and restore filesystems? Clean means to keep all the original hard/soft links and timestamps. Is find/cpio clean enough? $ cd /source $ find . -print | cpio... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question