How to place restrictions in a directory

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to place restrictions in a directory
# 1  
Old 10-27-2006
How to place restrictions in a directory

I have a directory called sync and the directory path is ftp/exports/sync. What I would like to do is place some documents in sync for external users to view and would like to have access restriction for the sync directory. i.e. login and password. How do I go about doing this in a Unix enviorment.
Thanks.
# 2  
Old 11-03-2006
You can restrict access to files and directories to specific users and group members in Unix by modifying the permissions using chown, chgrp, and chmod.
# 3  
Old 11-03-2006
and the login and password part could be done with .htaccess and .htpasswd files.
# 4  
Old 11-03-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysgate
and the login and password part could be done with .htaccess and .htpasswd files.
Only if they're accessing them through apache.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in all directories and place the file in that directory

Hi All, Daily I am getting the updated file. I have to search for this file in all directories and sub directories. If the file existed in a particular directory then move this updated file to that particular directory. If the file is not existed in any of the directories then place this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search for a file having a particular character in a particular place in a directory.?

Hi Guys, I want to search for a specific file in a directory which have a "b" letter as the 3rd character in the name of the file. For Example : /abc/efg/ldbjfblkj.sh /abc/efg/erublkd.sh /abc/efg/eibueora.sh /abc/efg/kfvnmnb.sh Since we have 2 files with "b" as a 3rd character in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using gsed with cp to sort files in directory - every N file copy to new place

Hi all, I'm having a problem with some basic piping issues... I have been able to get in a directory and ls | gsed in order to list every N file for instance: ls | gsed -n '2~5p' The thing is I want to be able to copy the output files to a new directory. Basically directory /all has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgoss
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Account restrictions

Lets say for example I want to restrict a users access, for example if they FTP in I want to lock them down to a certain directory. What is the best way of doing this? I'm planning to implement LDAP accounts, so I'd need this to be done automatically. Just not sure how I would go about this task. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Printf
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User restrictions

Hi, I am setting up a new Suse server and I'm very happy with it . So far Apache2, SVN, PHP5 and MySQL are up and running. Now I want to create and delete users (for coders for our projects) but they aren't allowed to do anything so there must be some restrictions. I want access restriction so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User restrictions

Hi, I am setting up a new Suse server and I'm very happy with it :). So far Apache2, SVN, PHP5 and MySQL are up and running. Now I want to create and delete users (for coders for our projects) but they aren't allowed to do anything so there must be some restrictions. I want access restriction so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kever
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract attachment from mail and place it in a directory

Hi, I have a requiremnent that i have to read a mail from a mail box and extract the attachment from that mail and place it in a directory. First of all is it possible in unix ? if so could you please help me out how it can be done Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure Recipient Restrictions in Postfix

Hi all We need to block our users sending emails to specific email addresses. At the moment, recipient restrictions is not enabled in our Postfix relay server so all messages submitted from our Exchange server are accepted and relayed. See entries in our main.cf file: ### Recipient... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
0 Replies

9. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question