debuggers and core

Top Forums Programming debuggers and core
# 1  
Old 04-18-2002
debuggers and core

Hi,
How does a debugger(like adb,dbx,gdb) use a core to get information like stack trace for the users . Is there any link where i can know more on this.
rgds
Surya
p.s:
Does a debugger(especially source level debuggers like gdb,dbx) require a core at all for debugging. What is the use of a core?

Last edited by surya321; 04-18-2002 at 02:49 AM..
# 2  
Old 04-18-2002
There are a few free debuggers out there. Download the source code and study it to see how it works.

A core file is the data segment of a program that died due to receipt of a signal like SIGBUS or SIGSEGV. Without a core file the program may die without a trace. And a unexpected corefile tells you that something went wrong. How vital a corefile is depends a lot on the programmer who must debug the program. Some programmers rely heavily on things like debuggers and corefiles. Others never use them.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Core Dumping?

How to now if the server is core dumping into the same filesystem? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
4 Replies

2. Programming

how to know the application run on which core, and run how many times on this core

I have a dual core pc, I write a application with two child process. I know I can add sched_get_cpu to know the process run on which core, but, it just when the sched_get_cpu is called, it will tell me the result, my quesion is how to know the child proceess spend how many times on one core. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

CORE in HP-UX

Hi, I am running a iplanet webserver in a HP-UX box and the iplanet webserver is crashing oftenly. I want to take a core dump. Could you please let me know how can i check whether server core is enabled? if not how can i enable the same? Also let me know to which path it saves the core. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between Dual-core & Core-to-duo

Can anybody tell What is the exact difference between a Dual-core processor and a Core-to-duo processor ?Advance thanks to all my friends. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
1 Replies

5. AIX

core dump

My application gives core dump. When i am debugging with dbx getting instructions below: pthdb_session.c, 818: 695445 PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) pthreaded.c, 1941: PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) Illegal instruction (illegal opcode) in . at 0x0 warning: Unable to access address 0x0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bapi
1 Replies

6. Solaris

core file

hello all, I have same core like below: lsav@GINTINGsmsc1/var/opt/GINTING/cores/SLF $ pstack core core 'core' of 26799: /opt/GINTING/bin/SLF -poolSize 520000 pstack: warning: librtld_db failed to initialize; symbols from shared libraries will not be available ----------------- lwp# 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredginting
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Core Dump

Hello all, Iam new to unix while executing java program which finely working in windows know iam testing with unix ,but in unix while executing iam getting core dump, my application is in client server environment and it is menu drivrn application on clicking options no problem but after some time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinp
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh debuggers??

Hi all, I'm looking for a debugger to use on ksh scripts and the only one I can seem to find is the Rosenblatt kshdb, Does anyone know of any other commercial ones out there?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eeisken
1 Replies

9. Linux

Using Fedora Core 2

I've been using FC2, but my sound card doesn't work I'm new with linux systems.. but there says that needs to recompile kernel how can i do it with a kernel 2.6.5 i386 ? by the way,. my sound card chipset is an ESS 1869F, with a compaq deskpro Smal Form Factor. but i have not found a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quake
4 Replies

10. Programming

Need info reg. Pro-c Debuggers...

Hi all, I need some info regarding which all debuggers are available for Pro-C code. i am working on Solaris. I had heard about 2 debuggers called 'Workshop' and GDB but then i am not sure. pls help me out in this. Regards Manish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mexx_freedom
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question