chkconfig utility in solaris 10

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users chkconfig utility in solaris 10
# 1  
Old 12-29-2006
chkconfig utility in solaris 10

I want to use chkconfig utility to simplify service management on Solaris 10. However, I couldn't find this utility. I tried " man chkconfig", the system return as " No manual entry for chkconfig". So what does this mean and how to find this utility on solaris 10? Thanks for your help. Happy New Year.
# 2  
Old 12-29-2006
Quote:
# SMF - Service Management Facility. Basically, if you've gotten used to chkconfig on Red Hat or SuSE, you're gonna love SMF. On its most simple level, it means no more manually linking startup scripts into /etc/rcX.d/, similar to chkconfig, but really it's so much more. SMF brings automated service control, including restarts, parallelized system boot, and is the biggest bit of technology behind the marketing pitch of “Predictive Self Healing”. I played with it today porting a /etc/init.d style RC script for MySQL to SMF, and boy howdy SMF is a nice system. I like it. A lot.
http://www.vmunix.com/mark/blog/arch...is-10-goodies/
# 3  
Old 01-01-2007
Computer

Thanks for your input. However, you didn't answer my question and give me any info that I need.
# 4  
Old 01-01-2007
Then become familiar with google...
# 5  
Old 01-02-2007
So, If everyone goes to google, why do we need this forum? This forum was built up for professional to help each other. If you won't spend time here, go to browse on google, other people would like to give people informative advice.
# 6  
Old 01-02-2007
Ok, being that man chkconfig turned up nothing, and you could'nt find a solaris package for it anywhere, you may have deduced or learned through some simple search that it is not something that is used in Solaris. It is in fact something that Redhat created based on a utility in Irix. I tried to point you in that direction by providing a link to something in Solaris that does exactly what chkconfig does, without making you feel like an a$$. However your remark shows that you are unappreciative and your original post shows that you did not do the prerequisite internet or forum search before posting such a silly question.
# 7  
Old 01-02-2007
You may be right. I didn't follow your direction and didn't do the prerequisite forum search. But do I have the right to ask question instead of doing search by myself. Did my behavior affect your life? Furthermore, where can we do forum search for previous posts? If you don't want to help others, don't express yourself with impolite words.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Expect utility not working for Solaris 11

iam withdrawing this thread , It was my mistake I didn't read the code properly (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boncuk
0 Replies

2. Solaris

GPG encryption utility in Solaris 10

Hi All, I am working on Solaris 10 OS on X4170M2 server. I have some .gpg encrypted files and i want to decrypt them but i dont know how to install the binary of gpg. Here is the binary in system : root@ecmstest # ls -larth total 1273904 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.5M Oct 14 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Deepa Jain
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i disable kudzu without using chkconfig

How do i disable kudzu without using chkconfig? /sbin/chkconfig --level 3 kudzu off Is there any other way of doing it . for example by modifying parameter of any file. Basically i want kudzu to be disabled during the first run of the machine after installation. I have full access to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Installation utility for Solaris

Hi, i have a requirement where we need to install an application on Solaris machines using an installation package. However, it involves various steps like:- 1. FTP to the configuration server and get the installation package 2. Move the installation package to the desired folder 3. Edit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartdude_bly
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

chkconfig error

I'm just trying to disable some of un used services. when i try that I'm getting following error. This is just for one "gpm" service failed to make symlink /etc/rc3.d/K15gpm: Read-only file system failed to make symlink /etc/rc4.d/K15gpm: Read-only file system failed to make symlink... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_linux
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 how do I enable and disable services? (equivalent of chkconfig on Linux)

I've successfully installed syslog-ng and chkconfig using the packages from the OpenCSW project, these packages install under /opt/csw. I now need to disable the default syslog daemon and enable the new service created by the OpenCSW package (/etc/init.d/cswsyslog_ng). Is there any good way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
3 Replies

7. Solaris

utility of solaris

hello sir, can anyone tell about untility in Solaris similiar untility as SMITY in AIX and SAM in HP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarnathbasis8
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on solaris best utility to copy a file system?

Hi, - on a solaris box what is the best utility to copy a whole file system from one place to other? - the aim of the operation is to place the contents of the whole file system to other file system within the discs cp ? - cpio? - tar? - what about file systemes containing symbolic links ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question