Single command pipe

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Single command pipe
# 1  
Old 06-23-2012
Single command pipe

Single command to ls all the files inside a particular directory hierachy and output this to a file and open this in a vim file so that i can use gf command in vim to browse through all the files inside this hierachy.

eg :
dir1/dir2
and
dir1/dir3

dir2 and dir3 contain the files i need to browse...

Please help...if this is not as optimal solution ,please mention alternate solutions
# 2  
Old 06-23-2012
Hi dll_fpga,

Does this work for you?
Code:
$ find . -type f | vim -

This User Gave Thanks to birei For This Post:
# 3  
Old 06-23-2012
vim - means?
will the outputof find get piped to a new vim file?
Quote:
Originally Posted by birei
Hi dll_fpga,

Does this work for you?
Code:
$ find . -type f | vim -

# 4  
Old 06-23-2012
Yes. That is. Test it.
# 5  
Old 06-25-2012
hi ,
thanks for the reply...
1) even though im getting a file ,that conatain the search file paths....
(./reports/all_violations)
2)im not able to browse to files using gf or enter key...
also how make find command to search only inside a particular directory?
# 6  
Old 06-25-2012
First point works for me, and to search without going deep into subdirectories add option -maxdepth 1
This User Gave Thanks to birei For This Post:
# 7  
Old 08-07-2012
reg expression in perl

how to uniquely match each of the words seperated by / in perl

${REP_PATH}/FUNCTIONAL/wide1c_1.0V/max/qor.rpt
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to squeeze multiple pipe character '|' into single '|' using sed?

Hi, I am trying to convert multiple Unix pipe symbol or bar into single |. I have tried with the following sed statements, but, no success :(. I need it using sed only echo "sed 's/\|\+/\|/g' sed 's/*/\|/' sed 's/\|*/|/' sed -r 's/\|+/\|/' However, the below awk code is working fine.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe in command

Hello, I try to concatenate a command to execute. Sadly it throws an error. #!/bin/bash cd / cmd="find -name *.txt | awk '{ printf "FILE: "$1; system("less "$1);}' | egrep 'FILE:|$1'" echo "1." $($cmd) echo "2." $("$cmd") echo "3." `$cmd` echo "4." `"$cmd"`1.&3. 'find: paths must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

4. Programming

Multiple children and single pipe

Greetings everyone, I need a bit of help in solving the following problem: I'm given an array of numbers and I have to compute the sum of the array elements using n processes, and the inter process communication has to be done with pipes(one pipe, to be exact). I managed to solve the problem... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ephesos
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command pipe

I am pretty new to UNIX. My client has a requirement where in a directory we have some files with somewhat similar name like test_XX.txt, test_XY.txt, test_XZ.txt, test_ZZ.txt, test_ZY.txt, test_ZX.txt, test_YY.txt......Out of these files few files have 0 bytes. Is there a way where we can go... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I use pipe command ?

Hi My friends I have used this command to find files are modified within the past 24 hours and then many files are shown but I want transfer all these files to special directory by using pipe . can any one tell me what is the next step ? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bintaleb
11 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bosskr
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bosskr
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe command

current dir : /home/sales ls -l abc.txt 17th aug bcd .txt 16t oct ------- ------ Total files : 100 if i want to move only those files dated 17 aug into another sub directory /home/sales/texas how do i pipe the result of 'ls' command to a 'mv' command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zomboo
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to pipe command

Hi All, I want to create a command that executes a text editor with the most recent file in the current current directory. So a good start to achieve this is : ls -lrt | cut -c55- | tail -1 which provides the name of the most recent file in a directory The problem is to pipe the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymous.nico
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question