Modification in configuration file to disable a particular user

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Modification in configuration file to disable a particular user
# 1  
Old 09-14-2008
Bug Modification in configuration file to disable a particular user

Please anyone can tell me what is the procedure to perform the required modifications in configuration files to disable a particular user???
# 2  
Old 09-14-2008
Depending on the OS - the usermod command can lock accounts. You can also change the login shell to /bin/false or something.
# 3  
Old 09-14-2008
Most Unix/Linux OS

Lock account:

passwd <username> -l

unlock account:
passwd <username> -u
# 4  
Old 09-18-2008
vipw

and edit the password entry belonging to that user. Either (1) remove the line, (2) change the shell to /bin/false, or (3) change the password field to "x".

There are other possibilities that are OS-specific, as Frank said. In Linux, you can look at the files in /etc/security.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do user-preset login to Bash shell then automate path modification?

How do a user login with full user-environment preset to Bash shell then automatically do path modification with few script codes, either on command-line or put it in a script file. what i tried: bash --login -c PATH="/ANewPath:${PATH}" bash --login -c 'PATH="/ANewPath:${PATH}"; export PATH'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Disable Inactive User in Solaris 11

Goal: To disable a Solaris user, after that user was inactive for X days. My understanding for linux was that there was no systematic way to disable inactive users, therefore we had to set a password expiration via /etc/default/passwd, MaxWeeks; then in /etc/default/useradd (/etc/shadow), the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Drasavokian
1 Replies

3. Web Development

Tapatalk Modification for vB3 - Adding User for System Information

Referring back to this thread: Tapatalk Modification for vB3 - Issue with Avatar Icons I mentioned that we had some "system bot" code: In this post, I describe that code and how easy it is to create a "system bot" user for Tapatalk (TT): Basically, its quite easy. We add a hook to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. Solaris

User id modification

Dear All, Some of the users having the same user id and group id in my /etc/passwd file. Now I want to change the users to have a unique user id and group id. How can we do that. If I change this will it affect the running applications. Rgds Rj (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Disable telnet for a particular user

On Solaris 8 is there anyway to disable telnet for a particular user and not for entire system altogether? I would like the user to retain a shell and so creating a noshell like ftp account is not an option. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: boshyd
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restrict modification of a file while it is already in use by another user?

How to restrict modification of a file while it is already in use by another user? If a file is in use by one user account, how to restrict it so that no one else can change it until its closed by the first user? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdiwakarteja
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to disable user login infor?

If user login and don't do anything in 15 mins, the user is kicked off from the server. how to disable it? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Temporarily Disable User Account

I want to temporarily disable a user account on HP-UX at the start of a script and renable the account at the end of the script. What would be the best method on HP-UX to temporarily disable a user account? I know of the passwd -l option that will lock the account, but I do not see a flag for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

URGENT: Password modification for oracle user

Hi to all, Need help! For user sysoper on oracle, I want to know who and on which date/time the password has been modified? The platform is unix itself. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashvik
2 Replies

10. AIX

How to disable cd to other folder for a user

How to disable user for cd to some another folders other than his folders. AIX 5L 5.2 Thanks Dilip. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dilippatel
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question