Numerical System Transformations - Lecture

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Numerical System Transformations - Lecture
# 1  
Old 03-08-2006
Numerical System Transformations - Lecture

Hy,

I wrote new article on Numerical Systems and Transformations yesterday evening (on my C Lessons Project webpage) and would like to share it with you. If someone can help me format my text for this forum, I would appreciate it, so I culd post full article here..

Here's intro:

"Our society uses numerical system based on number 10. There is a n0torious explanation why this system is used - it's simple, people have ten fingers, thus makes them easier to calculate numbers. If things were gone different, and something had messed up primordial soup -> developing Homo sapiens with eight fingers, it would be more likely we would use octal numeric system at present time. Infinite number of numerical systems exist, but following are most commonly used, and their conversion from one to another, is simple."

COntinued:

http://visualcplus.blogspot.com/2006...ations_08.html

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validate numerical

friends that way I can validate that the value is numeric taken instance var = 12re if var = numeric then a echo "Numerical else echo "not mumerico" fi edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for code, data and terminal output (yourself). (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use grep with numerical values?

I'm new to Unix and I have been trying to fix this problem for the past week. How would I use grep to display only certain numbers for a list. For example, if I have this list: Joe senior 4/50 John junior 25/50 Mary junior 41/50 Martha sophomore 2/50 ...How do I get a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log transformations with awk

Hi, I have a very large csv file with almost 100,000 columns and 200 rows Example.csv ID,field1,field2,field3,field4 A,5,6,7,8 B,1,2,3,4 C,3,5,6,7 I'm trying to find a way, using awk, to log (base 2) all the values in the table (minus the headers and id field) Output ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemo246
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data transformations

hi all, I have oracle table which has like below example in col7 & col8 there will be values seperated , in one column it is kind of horizontal pivoting but the data is in 1 column seprated , In near future this col7 and col8 may have some more values col7 * col8 that many records it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marpadga18
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numerical Labeling using sed

Hi, I have been working on this problem, but could only get so far. I have a file that looks like this (cat,chimp,(((dog,cat,cow),orangutan),((horse,((cat,dog),(cow,pig))),cat,mouse,rat))); I would like after each instance of the word 'cat' to have an incrementing numerical label. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and replacing text with case transformations

Hi, I am trying to edit an XML file automatically but my regex and shell script knowledge is very limited. I would appreciate your help fellows. The XML file has this structure: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <map map_file="maps/world.swf" zoom="350%" zoom_x="-115%"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boonymagique
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the value of a numerical expression

Hi, All, I want to calculate a specific value of a Gaussian distribution, say the mean is a=3, variance is b=5, the indepentent variable is x=2, how could I get the y which is the Gaussian distribution value of x. Thanks, Jenny (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jenny.palmy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh numerical RegX

I need to distinguish between numerical characters in a script: echo "Enter a number." read num if (( $num = * )) ; then exit 0 fi this RegX does not work. Any suggestions? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numerical Decision

I'm tryning to do something like this, I have this file: spaces12tabgoodbye spaces3tabhello I want to copy to another file the lines that have the number above 10... I thought using sort -rn but I don't know how to discard the lines that have the number below 10. Any idea? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmpx
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)				      System Manager's Manual					  avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)

NAME
avahi-dnsconfd.action - avahi-dnsconfd action script SYNOPSIS
/etc/avahi/avahi-dnsconfd.action DESCRIPTION
avahi-dnsconfd.action is the action script that is called whenever a new unicast DNS server is found or removed by avahi-dnsconfd. The default script as shipped with avahi patches /etc/resolv.conf to reflect the changed unicast DNS server configuration. PARAMETERS
argv[1] Contains the character "+" if the DNS server is new, "-" when it shall be removed from the DNS server list. argv[2] The IP address of the DNS server. argv[3] Numerical network interface number this DNS server was found on. argv[4] Numerical protocol number this DNS server was found on. (usually 2 for IPv4 and 10 for IPv6) ENVIRONMENT
AVAHI_INTERFACE Contains the textual interface name the corresponds with argv[3]. (e.g. "eth0") AVAHI_INTERFACE_DNS_SERVERS Contains a list of all DNS servers that avahi-dnsconfd found on the interface $AVAHI_INTERFACE, separated by spaces. AVAHI_DNS_SERVERS Contains a list of all DNS server that avahi-dnsconfd found on all interfaces, separated by spaces. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-dnsconfd(8), avahi-daemon(8) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User avahi-dnsconfd.action(8)