rlogin as root

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rlogin as root
# 1  
Old 01-14-2003
rlogin as root

I want to be able to rlogin from one SunOS box to another SunOS box as root. Additionally, I do not want to type in my password everytime. I get the ole' "Not on system console" message when I try it. I remember running into this a couple of years ago, and was able to overcome it. However, I can't remember what file I manipulated to make it work? Anybody remember??
# 2  
Old 01-14-2003
/etc/default/login Comment out the CONSOLE line.
# 3  
Old 01-14-2003
Great! That is it!!

BUT......it still asks me for a password????

I already have .rhosts and hosts.quiv in place. Any other ideas?

-cd
# 4  
Old 01-14-2003
Since you're trying to log in as root, hosts.equiv is ignored. You have some problem with your .rhosts file. A common error is to have the hostname wrong. You must use whatever gethostbyaddr() will return for the ip address at the other end of the socket.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

2. Solaris

rlogin help!

Guys, I'm running solaris 9 on two systems: 1 and 2, let's say. From 1, if I say rlogin 2, i can just login. No passwd prompt! From 2, if I say rlogin 1, it asks for the passwd. (able to login with a passwd) But, they both have the same config files, same set up, same network etc. What... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin

Hi all, i need to remotely execute a couple of commands on anyother server, but rsh is not allowed. for that matter i am bound to use rlogin. so what i am trying to do in the script is : 1) rlogin asad 2) Wait for Login prompt 3) Waiting for Password Prompt 4) Once authenticated, execute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asadlone
4 Replies

4. AIX

Deny root rlogin

Hi, I have to forbid root-logins on all my servers, expect from two machines, these 2 machines login with root without a password it was quite easy with ssh, but I have a problem regarding rsh/rlogin, an there are a lot of rsh jobs, so it would take a lot of time to change all this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rlogin

i got a dout in rlogin . whether rlogin is same as telnet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanmugam
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

not allow rlogin

does anyone know how to stop rlogin to my sunsolaris so I have 2 machines...I can not telnet one becouse that is not allowed but I can telnet the other and do rlogin to first one..I want to stop that.. so.. telnet A from C machine - works telnet B from C machine - does not work but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rlogin

Hi, I have a script and need to use rlogin to access "server1". As there will be different servers used and there will be different usernames and passwords. Is it possible to pass the server name, username and password as arguments on the command line and the script work from there. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

9. Solaris

root rlogin on sunos 5.9

Hi folks, Lately, i was asked to install some software on a sunos 5.9. The problem is that i cannot setup the r services for the installation to work properly : rlogin/rsh root without password. It keeps on bumping me login incorrect when i try to rlogin/rsh it with root ... I wonder why... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rlogin???

From any computer on our network when you rlogin into one machine (this only happens on this machine) it'll hang for about 3 minutes before loggin into that machine. If your sick of waiting you can do a <ctrl> C and then it'll rlogin into the machine it is meant to BUT it wont keep the shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question