How to delete a particular string from different locations ?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete a particular string from different locations ?
# 1  
Old 08-04-2008
How to delete a particular string from different locations ?

I want to delete a particular string ( ex : berkely@abc.com ) from different locations and in different files in each location.

Please help me !
# 2  
Old 08-04-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver to eliminate from a file

Code:
# command to get rid of data
sed '/berkely@abc.com //g' <in_file >out_file
# over-write original file
cp out_file in_file

From that, you could build a loop or loops to cycle thru your files. You did not specify filenames or directories, therefore that could not be included.
# 3  
Old 08-06-2008
you can use "sed -i" (-i, edit files in place)
Code:
sed -i -e 's/some-string//' inputfile

BTW, Solaris version of sed does not support -i
# 4  
Old 08-06-2008
Kindly check the following script

#!/bin/bash
for i in `ls`
do
sed 's/stringname//' $i >$i,
mv $i, $i
done

If u want delete the string from different locations u have to use ls followed by path of the directory.
# 5  
Old 08-06-2008
That's a Useless Use of ls -- you're better off simply with for i in *
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to delete empty files from specific locations

Hi, I need help in regard to developing a shell script to delete empty files from multiple specific locations. The directory paths will be stored in a text file. So the requirement is to read the text file for one specific path and then remove empty files from that particular path. Looping through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing to two locations at once

I have a backup script that runs on CRON that I developed about 5 years ago. It has always worked perfectly but a recent firmware update on my QNAP TS 259 has seem to break the large file move/copy capability amongst the ESATA drives. I would like to just change my backhup.sh so that writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackconsult
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit locations in a file

Hi , I have a file which looks like this source1 LEN predictive 392879 394347 0.955489 + . Name=sa000003.1;ID=sa000003;Alias=sa121751.1; source1 LEN descriptive_1 391082 392878 . . . Parent=sa000003.1;supp_id=.1805.1; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siya@
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Programming

Variable storage locations ...

I've got the following two queries: 1) What's the difference in performance if a variable storage is at bss and not at the data section (apart from the initialization to zero in case of data section variables --like static variables). In general, why a developer need to bother about the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
1 Replies

7. Solaris

file locations...

Hi Guys, There was a post that I saw here a while ago regarding file system layout and what to put where, which I am unable to find now.. A user here posted a man page that list what each partition should have in it and what it is used for and were you should install custom packages. ie:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tornado
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read EEPROM Locations

Dear Sir, I am Shidlingayya India, i am new to unix script..my problem is present-> I have to read the eeprom locations from 0 to 255 locations in separate file..i wrote the code for this as follows @eep_save_all ;<filename> store eeprom data to intel hex file kr 0,,02/n wf %1,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shidlingayya
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard Out to Two Locations

Is it possible to redirect standard output to two locations? Unfortunately, I need to redirect it to two different files. Or if there might be any utilities that can do it. I'm suspecting not as it's all pipes and filters, but thought I'd ask. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaryRudolph
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

WARNING: ap: no database locations

Hi everone! My computer is ultra80,Operation system 2.6,when I boot get a message "WARNING: ap: no database locations " And then I can login root , but for other user can`t login and had message "no shell". I use csh,after login root when I su -user also had... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yyt19701210
11 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question