change word in a property file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change word in a property file
# 1  
Old 03-01-2011
change word in a property file

Hi,

I have a property file called "inspector.properties".
In this property file stands the following:
inspect=ON

Now I want to have a shell script that when you run it, changes the ON in OFF in this property file.
Is this possible with sed?

Can anybody help me with this?
Tnx very much.
# 2  
Old 03-01-2011
Try:
Code:
perl -i -pe 's/(inspect=)ON/\1OFF/' file

# 3  
Old 03-01-2011
Code:
echo ",s/^inspect=ON$/inspect=OFF/\nw\nq\n" | ed -s inspector.properties

# 4  
Old 03-01-2011
Maybe stupid question, if you use this perl command, is it still needed to define this above in the script? #!/bin/ksh

So:
#!/bin/ksh
perl -i -pe 's/(inspect=)ON/\1OFF/' file
# 5  
Old 03-01-2011
If you want to run that command inside a script, then yes.
# 6  
Old 03-01-2011
with sed:
Code:
sed -i 's/inspect=ON/inspect=OFF/g'

If you are running on a Mac or a version of sed that errors out on the first one then try:
Code:
sed -i .bak 's/inspect=ON/inspect=OFF/g'

In a script
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "What is the full path to the Inspector.Properties file?"
read file
sed -i 's/inspect=ON/inspect=OFF/g' "$file"
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
sed -i .bak 's/inspect=ON/inspect=OFF/g' "$file"
else
echo ""
fi
exit 0

Last edited by glev2005; 03-01-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Parse property from json file

Hello All, Greetings.. I have a json file that I need to pase its URLs and other values. The match should start with "notifications" and output URLs and settings values. I tried with python or awk but hardly could get URLs only. Or whole URLs from full json file. Could not match... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 7adi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Property file processing in unix

Hi genius, Following is the problem. We have one templete file(input file) where some variables will be used Example: word1 word2 &{word3} word4 ${word5} word6 And also we have one property file where we define these variables Example: word3= something Word5= something Need to read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading and updating property file

I have to do a read operation for a field in property file, which looks like follows: 123|xyz|datetime|count '|' is delimiter. Finally I managed to read the contents of property file using statement like cut -d"|" -f1 $PROPERTIES_FILE | tr '\n' ' ' <-- Reading first column But now I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshranjanscs
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a property file through shell script???

Hi! i need a script that can read a property file. i.e., A script to read a "property" from property file. Read the property value and based on value of property, decide whether to start the some dataload activity or not. Its urngent. Can anyone help me out???:( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Report a missing property and property value mis match script.

Hi All, I have 2 properties files - one is a master templete and other one is a node specific properties file, I need to comapre these 2 properties files and make sure the node Specific properties file contains all the properties in the master temple properties file else report the missing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayka
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl use property file for variables

if I have a file that contains variables. How do I assign them in a script. file p=c e=g Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

source a property file in script give error

I have sourced a property file in my script like this to load some variables in the script Then i am able to echo all the property file values inside script but the script is not able to recognize other unix commands #!/bin/bash . build.properties mkdir build i am getting error ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem printing the property of xml file via shell script

Hi, I have a config.xml which cointains the tags like <CONFIG> <PROPERTY name="port" value="1111"/> <PROPERTY name="dbname" value="ABCDE"/> <PROPERTY name="connectstring" value="xyz/pwd"/> </CONFIG> This file is in some directory at UNix box. I need to write a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a word in a file, and change a word beneath it ??

Hi all, I have a file with lines written somewhat like this. aaaa ccc aa linux browse = no xssxw cdcedc dcsdcd csdw police dwed dwd browse = no cdecec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question