Idle sessions.

Operating Systems HP-UX Idle sessions.
# 1  
Old 01-08-2012
Idle sessions.

What kind of problems can be faced if any session which connects to unix server is open for longer time?
How to find out from how much time that session is idle? Smilie
# 2  
Old 01-09-2012
Quote:
How to find out from how much time that session is idle?
Simply type w
Code:
ant:/sm/doc $ w
 10:33am  up 125 days, 25 mins,  20 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
User     tty           login@  idle   JCPU   PCPU  what
vbe      pts/0         4:10pm138:23 110:09 110:09  gpm
vbe      pts/1         4:38pm112:42                ssh lo4
vbe      pts/2         4:48pm905:43                rlogin rh5c
vbe      pts/3         5:49pm     1                /usr/bin/ksh
vbe      pts/4         5:44pm428:08                rlogin n12
vbe      pts/5         6:11pm571:04      1      1  rlogin n12
vbe      pts/6        10:35am143:56                rlogin sciv
vbe      dtremote      4:01pm  7:47                -
vbe      pts/7        10:39am450:08                rlogin n12

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Telnet sessions stay as idle users

Hi The telnet sessions stay as idle users. It is not getting kicked out. Please advise what could be the issue. only when we reboot the server these telnet sessions goes. Below is the current output from the server. we rebooted the server three days ago: pmut6:/> uptime 04:21PM... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

Users getting kicked out of sessions

We have an old (11.11) HP-UX system. A couple of months ago, our customers started having problems with their logins. After sitting idle for roughly an hour, their screens would lock up and they would be kicked out of the system. This happens if they are in the application or on the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slkdnichols
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill sessions

Hi , I am connecting to the linux redhat machine as user : APPS I would like to know how i can kill -9 , all APPS sessions beside me . Please advice Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I-node and sessions

I have a program (written by me, for educational purposes) called "analyzer". The program takes a parameter, a filename, and does some statistics on it (for example, word's number, line's number, ... ) at regular intervals. My teacher told me that if the file is edited while the "analyzer" is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurricane
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Switching between sessions

Unix sys admin in training here and I was performing a rollout of java code. While rolling out my connection to the server was broken. I logged back on to the box and performed a ps -ef | grep 'user' . I could see that session and pid number. My question is was there anyway to resume or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vedder191
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

idle time again

I need to find the idle time on a machine in the manner: How long time ago somebody did the last action with mouse or keyboard? Unfortunately "w" doesn't do this. It produced the following output on a machine a user was actually working on with an application: 15# w 15:55:28 up 15 days, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elbrand
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script : How many sessions are there ?

Hi everybody, I need a script that shows the total number of sessions there are ... This shows how many sessions are open... echo "Number of open sessions: " w | grep :0 | wc | awk '{print $1} But how can I see how many sessions there are in total?? I hope someone can help me... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xaviraan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see if the process is idle

We are running AIX 5.3 and for ICICS Printing we have process called cicstermp runing whcih attaches the print to print queue But is process is triggered when ever a print is to be given Can we find the processes which are idle I mean every time a print is given it creats a new cicstermp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

9. Solaris

CPU idle

hi when should we consider that CPU is loaded? When it is 100% idle or 0%idle?? tx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

10. Programming

C programming sessions

Hey guys, i'm in trouble, i'm high school teacher, and a student ask me for help, he want's to know where he can study C language for his application exam. Somebody could help us? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eleia
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question