System call Handling

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System call Handling
# 1  
Old 11-04-2012
System call Handling

In Linux in older versions the user calls were routed to their corresponding system calls through interrupt 80 which was handled by system_call().
I mean say for the user mode function read() there was a corresponding kernel mode function.
The system call index was fed in eax register and was used to index into system call table to find the corresponding kernel mode function.

But in newer linux versions I heard this has changed and interrupts are no more used.
Will anyone let me know what is the new mechanism to handle system calls?
Any good link will help.
# 2  
Old 11-07-2012
You can read with read( . . . ) or with syscall(SYS_READ, . . . ). This allows one to write their own libc clone and add side effects to calls like read(). One app used it to write restart checkpoints.

Last edited by DGPickett; 11-07-2012 at 06:24 PM..
# 3  
Old 11-07-2012
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Handling Signals in System Calls

What will happen if signal comes while a system call is being executed? How it will be handled? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with call of Java Programm & return code handling & output to several streams.

Hello Everybody, thanks in advance for spending some time in my problem. My problem is this: I want to call a java-Programm out of my shell skript, check if die return code is right, and split the output to the normal output and into a file. The following code doesn't work right, because in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danifunny
2 Replies

3. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

4. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file handling in perl without using system command

Hi , Is there any way to achieve following using perl program (i.e without using system command). 1.system ("echo 'test' > /usr/spool/ship.csv"); 2.system ("cat /usr/ajay_test* >> /usr/spool/RAM/work/patil.csv"); 3.system("> /usr/spool/ajay.txt"); e.g for system("rm -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

6. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

8. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question