Grep and rename the filename

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep and rename the filename
# 1  
Old 04-30-2009
Power Grep and rename the filename

Hi All,

Can you please help me.

The situation is like this. There are many different file name in this directory.
I have to grep all the file that the name start with "PTWO" and rename it to COM with the current date.

This is the script that I have done and it hit an error..SmilieSmilie
#!/bin/bash

DAY=`/bin/date +%Y%m%d`

for hs in `ls $target/FTPUSERs/$hh`; do

`grep -i ^PTWO $target/FTPUSERs/$hh/`

`mv $hs COM$DAY.txt`

done

Hope u can help me...SmilieSmilie
# 2  
Old 04-30-2009
here is a basic code to rename multiple files having common name . You have to modify it as per your requirement

===============
for filename in *;
do
newname=`echo $filename | sed -e 's/oldname/newname/g'`
mv $filename $newname
done
===============
# 3  
Old 04-30-2009
Thanks amitranjansahu,

But my biggest problem right now is how to grep all the filename that start with PTWO and change them to the same new name. There are also other filename in the directory. SmilieSmilie
# 4  
Old 04-30-2009
Code:
for file in PTWO/*
do
mv "$file" "COM$(date + "%Y%m%d").txt"
done

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

Last edited by devtakh; 04-30-2009 at 06:00 AM..
# 5  
Old 04-30-2009
Thanks devtakh,

But I think u have misunderstand my problem.

PTWO is not the folder name. It is a file name.

Let me clear the situation to you. In folder A there are many different files with different names.
I need to grep all the files in that folder which the name start with "PTWO" and rename them to "COM" with the current date.

Thanks for your help~
# 6  
Old 04-30-2009
Code:
for file in `ls PTWO* 2>/dev/null` # from folder A
do
done

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam
# 7  
Old 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtakh
Code:
for file in `ls PTWO* 2>/dev/null` # from folder A
do
done

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam
devtakh,

I don't think you want to do that, it moves all the selected files to 1 file.

badbunny9316,

Better is to give some examples of the file names and the desired names.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename first N numeric strings in filename

Hello, I have some video files containing numbers and characters . To tell the problem shortly, due to a limitation, I am unable create a playlist regularly changing on a daily basis with the command shuffle....So I decided to rename filenames, just a replacement of first five numbers randomly.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to get one to one map and rename the filename

I have 2 files sorted by numerically. I need help with shell script to read these 2 files and do a 1:1 mapping and rename the filenames with the mapped case#; For example: cat case.txt 10_80 10_90 cat files.txt A BCD_x 1.pdf A BCD_x 2.pdf ls pdf_dir A BCD_x 1.pdf A BCD_x 2.pdf ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename rename with characters of file

Hi, I need a bit of help. I've used awk to get the first 7 characters of a file - awk '{print substr($0,0,7)}' test.csv How do I now take this variable to rename test.csv to variable.csv ? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sianm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wget same filename from subdirectories and rename or concat

I would like to wget a file "index.html" from a site which is lies in different subdirectories and is different in size. The index.html shall be concatenated or renamed to index01.html index02.html .... I would like to store this file in just one directory and use the option -nd. Though i can't get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename FileName in the Directory

In the Directory all the Files are following format. Filename_yyyymmdd_numbers.txt eg. file_name_20120106_015802.txt . I want to write the Shell script to rename all the file to file_name.txt.in the directory. Thanks Mani (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavemani
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename filename

Hi, I am pretty new to this. I have a condition where in I want to replace all files within a folder. All filenames with character "abc" would need to replaced with "xyz". eg: helloabcworld-->helloxyzworld helloworld-->helloworld ... ... Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakets_2000
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I rename a filename in a directory?

Hi, I've got a large to task to do, which I've broken into three section. I'm just stuck on one of the sections. I have to change the end of a filename from .txt to .doc in a directory. So if I have a directory called "folder1" and two files contained in it called "file1.txt" and "file2.txt",... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeddyP
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename all files that have a certain text in the filename using tcsh shell

Hello~ I'm on AIX version 5 and I believe I have the tcsh shell environment to play in. Can you guys help me with a solution to rename all files that have "eclp" in the filename to "ecl" ? I basically want to rename the files and strip the "p" out. i.e. original filenames: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: in2vtec
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple filename.45267.txt to >> filename.txt

i have several thousand files and in subdirs that are named file.46634.txt budget.75346.pdf etc i want to remove the number but retain the extension. it is always a 5 digit. thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question