openssl installing certs

Operating Systems Solaris openssl installing certs
# 1  
Old 03-30-2011
openssl installing certs

First, let me openly admit that I am a dummy when it comes to openssl. I've never used it before.

I am running SunOS 5.10. I am trying to install the certs for openssl but have no idea how to do that.

What I have done so far:

1. Created a CSR using the following command:
openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -out myserver.csr -keyout myserver.key

2. I then submitted myserver.csr to Cybertrust and received 2 files back: 12345_cert.pem and 12345_chainp7.pem

3. Copied both files to /etc/sfw/openssl/certs.

Now what do I do. I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I am completely lost. Does the cert need to be imported? And how do I test that the cert is properly installed, and that the cert itself is good?

Thanks everyone!!
# 2  
Old 03-30-2011
Reading man's openssl, ocsp, ca, crl, crl2pkcs7, etc. seems like a good starting point. This looks like a good start, too: Certificate Management with OpenSSL - General Stuff
# 3  
Old 03-31-2011
DG, believe me, I have read them all. And I have tried all the solutions. I can't seem to get the cert installed though. When I try to view the cert:

# openssl x509 -in cacert.pem -noout -text
Error opening Certificate cacert.pem
20180:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:/on10/build-nd/F10U8B8/usr/src/common/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:294:fopen('cacert.pem','r')
20180:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:/on10/build-nd/F10U8B8/usr/src/common/openssl/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:296:
unable to load certificate

The cert clearly exists in the directory specified by the config file (/etc/sfw/openssl/certs).

---------- Post updated at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:09 AM ----------

Turns out the cert issued by Cybertrus was corrupted. I went ahead and created/signed my own cert and now everything works.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Issue w/manually installing OpenSSL 1.0.1j

My Redhat Enterprise 5 system is vulnerable to POODLE and there does not seem to be a Redhat fix coming down the pipe. So I have downloaded OpenSSL 1.0.1j from source and built it. My question is ho do I make sure the Apache and Tomcat use the1.0.1j version and not the distro version. Thanks,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: caspersgrin
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract certs from apache ca-bundle.crt file?

Apache web server reads Certificate Authority(CA) certs from ../cert/ca-bundle.crt file for SSL authentication. It has all certs in PEM format and no way to know exactly what they are. I want to get each cert seperated by boundary strings into a file and feed it to "keytool" command to see what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
7 Replies

3. Programming

Perl to extract ssl certs from xml file

HI Guys, I'm a newbie in perl. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to Find all the SSL certs on a give host Cent OS

Hi I am trying to find all the ssl certs installed/located on cent os Host , Please help . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartguyz2012
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update LDIF User info based on Test User Certs ID's

Hi I need help.......... I have an Sun One Directory server LDIF file with 5000 user entries, I need to change the data to match Test ID's, so I can run a perf test. I'm way out of my league as I have not done any scripting for 10 years. There are four entries for each user in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Macdaddy99
3 Replies

6. Linux

Installing Firefox and now ended up installing latest glibc

Hi all, I wanted to install the latest version of firefox 2 but it seems when I attempt to install it, it seems to be saying it is looking for c libraries version 2.3? I believe I currently have an older version of the c libraries. I am currently running Sun's JDS Linux 2003. My Mozilla web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

novell certs ?

i want to be cne certified. how good are certmagic preps for novell exams ?. i have heared they r very close to real exams . any comments ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unaiiim
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

terminal sessions and certs

Hello a few Q's that if anyone knows the answer to i would be grateful: :confused: when exiting a terminal session run through a windows environment i can either type exit or use ctrl +D. I was wondering if one way was a 'cleaner' method to exit then the other or whether it is executed the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hu$h
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssl certs

Hi all can anyone tell me how i can discover the strength of encryption in an ssl cert. I have used various methods ie apps and verisign web page but they just give me general info. I need to know the encryption level. The cert in question is used in Weblogic application for Solaris 8 any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silvaman
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question