Terminal environment

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Terminal environment
# 1  
Old 05-02-2011
Terminal environment

what is the best way to get to know the terminal environment and command line in the Mac OS X.

is it as simple as learning the bash shell, or any shell.

I have worked in the Terminal environment in the past with some C programming and some command line basics. And with that i had to dig thru a lot of bs miss information in Unix and command like "taste like" resource`s that were Mac OS X based.

or is that just the way it is.

what is the correct string of descriptive words that would honestly give meaning and insight to working with the Mac OSX back end with out a thousand words like, foundation, UNIX-based, Mach 3.0 microkernel, FreeBSD services, Darwin, robust BSD environment, etc.

I would just like to work with the Terminal, i am not on a mission know every nook and cranny dust corner.

thank you

Last edited by cowLips; 05-16-2011 at 01:35 AM..
# 2  
Old 05-08-2011
I'm no pro...

...but I do have a few tips.

As far as I know, OS X behaves just as you'd expect a UNIX system to.
I only use bash, and it suits all my needs.

WHAT IN TARNATION!?!
I can't post URLs?!?

Apple has pretty good documentation. These might not be of too much help, but just to give you an idea of what's out there:
developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology_Overview/CommandLine/CommandLine.html
Shell Scripting Primer:
developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/OpenSource/Conceptual/ShellScripting/Introduction/Introduction.html
Mac OS X Technology Overview:
developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology_Overview/About/About.html

One thing you really should install, though, is the MacPorts software repository.
macports.org

The nitty-gritty:
osxbook.com

Ultimately, you will learn what you need to know to get the job done!
If you want to become a pro, it helps to have a good reason for wanting to!

Good luck!
-Peter
This User Gave Thanks to peter.story For This Post:
# 3  
Old 05-09-2011
same as any other generic terminal.
# 4  
Old 05-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.story
WHAT IN TARNATION!?!
I can't post URLs?!?
Blame the spammers.

---------- Post updated at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:43 AM ----------

MacOS uses the BASH shell, so advanced bash scripting guide
# 5  
Old 05-16-2011
thank you peter.story and every one else.

The thing i am aiming towards is looking at code written by other people. if their pro`s i could maybe learn something from them.
there are not a lot of example`s as to why a person would use array`s and their use`s and other programming tools, what is a word for that besides tools.
i have been able to progress to reading code, and writing some by what`s in a book.
yes i know, jump in the trench. i really get burnt out with mistakes.
it was fun when i did a while loop in c the first time. ha ha ha
thank you

Last edited by cowLips; 05-16-2011 at 01:44 AM..
# 6  
Old 05-23-2011
Glad we could help!

Having spent the last week working with non-Mac OS X systems over SSH, I'm really appreciating the Mac's command-line environment!

Keep asking questions, and keep reading the man pages! Smilie

-Peter Story
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How are environment variables defined in a Gnome terminal session?

Hello... and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me with my question! I'm hoping someone will have a little patience with me and walk me through this! I'm trying to understand a user login process on Centos 7 and I've gotten a bit confused trying to figure out when/how a Gnome... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Linux Terminal environment variable in a perl or bash script?

Hi, I meet an problem that it cannot change Terminal environment variable in a perl or bash script. This change can only exist and become effective in script lifetime. But I want to make this change take effect in current opened Terminal. In our view, the thought seems to be impossible, As... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: weichanghe2000
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start a shell script in a terminal console from graphic environment?

Hello. Normally when you double click on the file name, the shell script start in background. If you want to see what is going on, you must open a terminal console and start the shell within the terminal. Is it possible to start directly a shell script in a terminal console from the file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does DOS has a terminal or pseudo terminal?

I am wondering if the DOS console works like the unix terminal? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vistastar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Giving a name to a Terminal in "Xfce" desktop environment

Hi, I work noramly with 3/4/5 Terminals (not xterms) open. In the different Terminal I set different tools (software). Unfortunately I loose easily the overview of all these Terminals. Which setup is in which Terminal? It would be nice to have a possibility to name Termianls. By the way I work... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hooge789
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gnuplot wxt terminal vs x11 terminal

Hi, I installed ubuntu recently on my pc. And I installed gnuplot as well. When I first started working with gnuplot it was working . I did a plot and when I wanted to fit my data something happened and not the default terminal of gnuplot is xwt! I changed it to: set terminal x11, but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

I am trying to automate a SSH login using Keys using the following command ssh -i id_rsa usernamw@ipaddr. I am successful in doing this and i am getting the Warning Screen and I logon successfully. but when I am executing the command tail -1cf put.dat | ssh -i id_rsa username@ipaddr > get.dat ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question