hp 9000 k class server not booting

Operating Systems HP-UX hp 9000 k class server not booting
# 1  
Old 12-19-2007
hp 9000 k class server not booting

We have an old k class server that we would like to use as a testbed for our oracle application. However, it is not booting properly - fiailing the self boot test (light at the back of server is blinking). On the little window on the front of server i see the following message about console (?). I can't get response from console/keyboard. We have an HP console but a regular non-hp keyboard.

Init C440 PRI CNSL 0

Does that mean anything ?

Thanks
Corne
# 2  
Old 12-19-2007
First, read Owner’s Guide K Class HP9000 Enterprise Servers.

Your comment about the keyboard doesn't make sense. The keyboard comes with the terminal. But any ascii terminal will do, including a pc running hyperterminal. "INIT", as mentioned in the manual, means it is initializing. If it is set up to check all of memory this can take a very long time. Keep your hands in your pockets and leave it alone until it says something else. HP can decode the C440 to tell you exactly what it is doing, but I happen to know that the C in the code stands for "checking".
# 3  
Old 12-20-2007
Question

Thanks for the reply.

So i kept my hands in my pockets and let the server boot. After 12 hours it is still displaying " Init C440 PRI CNSL 0 " on the LCD display. The self test light is still flickering as well.

Any further advice to get the server to boot prompt ?

Thanks
# 4  
Old 12-20-2007
We found the HP keyboard and console.

The console still displays the default screen - basically a black screen with 8 white blocks with text at the bottom. We can't get any system prompt or other unix boot menu. Should we see any other screen ?

What should the LCD display if the machine boots successfully ?

Thanks
# 5  
Old 12-20-2007
ok, here is what we found on the net.

C440 means : INIT C440 Initializing the stable storage console path

Can someone translate that into poor english ?

Thankks
# 6  
Old 12-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lombard_c
C440 means : INIT C440 Initializing the stable storage console path
As a pure random off the top of my head guess rating high answer, perhaps it's the console that it's been told to use by the CMOS settings... Smilie

On the serial port have you tried NULL modems, rx/tx swappers etc, all the various RS232 combinations? It should be 9600,n,8,1....
# 7  
Old 12-20-2007
Thanks for the reply Porter.

Sorry, i am a newbie to system admin. What do you mean by this ?

On the serial port have you tried NULL modems, rx/tx swappers etc, all the various RS232 combinations? It should be 9600,n,8,1....

How do i set it - which menu do i use - i am only seeing the default display menu on screen - no real menu........

thanks again
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun Server not booting into OS

Hello I have an old sun fire v250 server that I am trying to revive. I am trying to boot it from cdrom to install the OS (Solaris 10). The original data in the disk is corrupt and I am trying to do a new clean install. However I encounter the following errors. Does it look like the disk itself... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: br1an
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Zones not booting after server reboot

Hello guys This is my first post. I have very little experience and I woud appreciate your input on this problem. I have a server running Solaris 10. In that server I have 2 zones that work perfectly fine, however, if I reboot the server, the zones don't boot and I have to do it manually. i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: designbc
12 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun E420R server not booting

Hi all, I am getting boot time message for sun E420R server. I need urgent help. Hardware Power ON CPU Offline (not present) Master CPU : 0000.0001.0055.11a0 CPU Offline (not present) CPU Offline (not present) Master E$ : 0000.0000.0040.0000 Button Power ON (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PUSHPARAJA
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Server: loop while booting

Hello Everyone, First: English is not my native language, sorry. I was given today on the work of a SUN Enterprse 220r, then I was going to install Debian-sparc, but the server remains in the boot process in a loop of the Fork interpreter depends (begin to load with power-up) starts the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snap
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Server is not booting

I have setup NIS+ server and Client on my server and after I reboot. It is not booting. What may be the problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

urgent help needed on HP 9000 rp3410 server for a newbie

Hi friends i dont know whether it is the right forum to ask this or not. if its not please excuse me and please give me the link for such a forum. i am novice about HP 9000 rp3410 server and its things but i had to install and configure it. I came to know that it doesnot comes with builtin... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnaravinda
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP 9000 rp7420 server

Hi all, I'm trying to find out info on HP 9000 rp7420 server. 16-way rp7420 server - what does 16-way stand for? There is 32-way rpxxxx also. I searched www.hp.com site but no luck. Can anyone put some light in it pls. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhbd
3 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

HBA compatible on Emulex Lightpulse 9000 with IBM 8840 PKU X346 server.

Hi there, does anybody knows/info on compatiblity on Emulex Lightpulse 9000 with IBM 8840 PKU X346 server. Regards. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagasan_makmur
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Booting Up Servers from the Terminal Server.

All, I have a problem with booting up of servers. I am involved in application programming(Perl/Shell), but don't have much hardware knowledge about the Sun Solaris Server's we use. Our Development Servers are located at a remote place from the Development Centre. Every time there is a Power... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

D Class HP 9000 Server Setup

I work for a school and just received a set of HP-UX machines. I did ok with the Vizualize workstations in that they had video cards and all, but I am attempting to set up the D Class (D250) servers that we received and they are terminal only. I have the terminals and keyboards for them, but am... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoHope
11 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question