init CPU Usage

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users init CPU Usage
# 1  
Old 05-29-2007
init CPU Usage

I am working on a Unixware 7.1.1 system that seems to have suddenly started having huge telnet login slowdowns.

I am theorizing it might be due to processor load an I wanted to know what INIT should be using on average in terms of processor power. For me it is at least at 15%.

I also want to know what to do if init IS using too much cpu power.

Thanks in Advance,
# 2  
Old 05-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubmitter
I am working on a Unixware 7.1.1 system that seems to have suddenly started having huge telnet login slowdowns.
1. Check that reverse DNS lookups are working first, especially the IPs of the telnet clients.

2. Why are you still using telnet?
# 3  
Old 05-29-2007
OpenServer versions of SCO often suffer from this problem. It is usually caused by "ghost" telnet sessions. That is users have cancelled a telnet session without logging off, (by clicking on the X in the top right corner of the screen.)
You can see that you will get a different list of users from the 'who' command than from 'ps -leaf |grep ttyp'.
The fix is to kill the processes that do not have an active terminal associated with it.
# 4  
Old 05-29-2007
-I checked the reverse DNS checks: Actually when I was first looking at the machine I noticed resolv.conf was renamed to something else. I decided to replace it with resolv.conf and I wonder if that may have caused the machine to start doing DNS lookups (and failing somehow).

-I checked for ghost sessions and didn't find anything.

-I am using telnet because that is what the server is configured on. It is really a legacy setup with unixware 7.1.1. I am not mandated to touch anything other than create a failover replica for this system.

-I also get an error in the log files (happens continuously) like "/var/adm/utmp being rewritten by /var/adm/utmpx due to size mismatch". This is a new error message which happened close to this new problem. I am tempted to erase the files and "touch" new ones but I am worried it will prevent people from logginin.

-I was thinking about modifying inetd to have telnet NOT go through tcp wrappers.

Thanks Again!
# 5  
Old 05-29-2007
How can I actually find out WHAT init is doing strance, truss or something?
# 6  
Old 05-29-2007
init problems are usually caused by a bad /etc/inittab. So I would check that file first.
# 7  
Old 05-29-2007
I would now try pinging the telnet client, and/or run traceroute back to the client. I think that the host now has no way to find the client.
What does the resolv.conf file look like?
Is ndc running on the server?
Are the clients on the same subnet?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

CPU Usage

Hi Experts, We encountered problem in one of the production system where some processes were taking higher CPU and after some time it came back to normal.. From system prespective, is there any way to check why processes took more cpu during that particular period. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
16 Replies

2. Programming

CPU usage

Hi all, I'm using python and psutil a library to get system informations like cpu usage (percent) for a given process. My question is if I have the value in % of the cpu usage how I could get the cpu usage in cycle number I mean not in percent? Thanks a lot D. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
5 Replies

3. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

5. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

7. Programming

CPU usage and memory usage

Please tell me solaris functions/api for getting following information 1- Function that tells how much memory used by current process 2- Function that tells how much memory used by all running processes 3- Function that tells how much CPU is used by current process 4- Function that tells how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting CPU Usage

For analysis, I need to gather CPU usage from say 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM every 10 seconds on a given day. I heard this can be done with awk, but my UNIX is kind of rusty. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WG1
4 Replies

9. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

cpu usage

hi, In response to your cpu usage answer I too read sys/sysinfo.h but , if we put these values to access the repective time fields in the array pst_cpu_time which is a member of the structure pst_dynamic values doesn't seem to match, why is like this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushaga
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question