How to secure PHP in multiuser environment?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to secure PHP in multiuser environment?
# 1  
Old 08-28-2008
Question How to secure PHP in multiuser environment?

Hello.

Could you please suggest the ways, by which one can prevent PHP users from reading other webroots? So far I know two ways: Apache mod_suexec and suphp. But it seems, they both require running PHP as a CGI, right? In this case I will be unable to benefit from APC (php opcache). I am running Apache 2.2 in mpm-worker mode.

Is there a way to secure PHP, having left it executing as Apache module?

I thought, that may be simple open_basedir in PHP can serve this purpose, but it seems, it is not secure because any PHP vulnerability or PHP extension vulnerability will lead to a security whole in system.

Additionaly, you will need to write open_basedir parameter in every VirtualHost Apache directive manually.

Thank you.
# 2  
Old 08-28-2008
Is this a Windows or Unix-ish server?
# 3  
Old 08-28-2008
This forum is about Unix, so this question is also Smilie
# 4  
Old 08-28-2008
Never hurts to ask. Smilie Specifically, what OS? Some Linux distros (and Windows) handle user based sites differently with regards to httpd.conf.
# 5  
Old 08-28-2008
I am primarily targeted for CentOS

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command history of a particular user in a multiuser environment

Is it possible to find out the history of recently typed in commands of a particular user in a multi user system? the history command expects a numeric argument with it. is it possible to find out the history o commands of a particular user say John_smith for example? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Secure copy help

I want to use scp in a script and have two questions: 1. Is there a way to use password in script, so script does not halt and ask for my password for remote box half way through? 2. The code below copies the file to my home directory on the remote server. How can I copy "file" to the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reset environment - ".. /etc/.environment dev_env"

I have been resently working on some ksh script. One of the line in the file writes: .. /etc/.environment dev_env I can not understand what this mean, all I know is .environment is unix system environment file. Is ".." a command? If some one can give me some clue where can I find information... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzwu3591
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Secure FTP Problem using Sun SSH on Client system F-Secure on Server system

I am using shell script to do secure ftp. I have done key file setup to do password less authentication. Following are the FTP Details: FTP Client has Sun SSH. FTP Server has F-Secure. I am using SCP Command to do secure copy files. When I am doing this, I am getting the foll error scp:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftpguy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to view my own process in a multiuser envrionment

Hi , I am new to unix , tell me how can I check which all are the processes which were started by me or under my account , its a multiuser enviornment , I tried with ps -f , but it does not give me the complete answer , it gives me which shells I hv opened like tht , I want the processes like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishsid3
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Secure Rmount

We run Solaris 8 and now Solaris 10. I would like to create a secure share on my rman server that I could put backups directly on the rman server. They will then get backed up to tape. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
0 Replies

7. Programming

multiuser chat server closes when one client closes. code included

I have been trying to write a very basic chat program but at the moment I am having problems getting it to be multiuser as it closes all connections when one client shutsdown. I have also been having problems trying to get the program to display a list of usernames to the clients. I have tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dooker
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Secure folder

Probably one of the most basic questions, and probably not even the right one to ask here: I am running a site on a Unix server, and I want to create a secure folder. This folder should be protected with a password, so that anyone trying to read a html file from it, will be prompted for that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lexdufroix
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question