Deleting redirected pwd from file.

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting redirected pwd from file.
# 1  
Old 11-07-2014
Deleting redirected pwd from file.

Hi
Code:
echo " username "
read username
echo "password"
stty -echo
read password
stty echo

through read i am taking standard input and redirecign them to a file
Code:
echo " username=${username}/${password} " > file.lst

now from the same shell script i want to delete the password (i.e ${password}) so that no body can see my pssword

i tried this
Code:
sed -i 's/\$password//g' file.lst

this is not working.. is there any suggestion how can i delete the password from redirected file.lst ?

Last edited by Franklin52; 11-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags
# 2  
Old 11-07-2014
Dont escape the $password.
That is, because the file will not contain the variable name, but the value, so, sed requires the value too.

Escaping the variable, makes sed reading the escaped $, rather than to translate the variable to its value, which here is required.

hth

PS:
Please use code tag for code blocks in your further posts.

EDIT:
Even simpler, dont write the password to the file Smilie
# 3  
Old 11-07-2014
Thanks .. Yes you are right.. i dopped that options to save pwd in file.. however unmasking $ also did not worked.. thanks for your suggetion.
# 4  
Old 11-07-2014
Leaving such in the environment is more secure.
Code:
export XX_ID=my_XX_id XX_PW=my_XX_password

XX being whatever you want to call it.
# 5  
Old 11-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosheks
... ... ...
i tried this
sed -i 's/\$password//g' file.lst

this is not working.. is there any suggestion how can i delete the password from redirected file.lst ?
As has already been stated, you don't want to escape the $, but even after you fix that, variables aren't expanded inside single quotes. If you can't pass the variables through the environment as suggested by DGPickett, your sed command might work if you use double quotes:
Code:
sed -i "s/$password//" file.lst

but this will not work if $password expands to a string that contains a / or any character that has a special meaning in a basic regular expression (such as ., *, ?, [, \, or {). And, even if that isn't a problem, there is also the chance that the user's selected password will match other text in file.lst (and remove it) even though the text removed was not in the password field. (So, if someone knows what this file is supposed to look like, you could expose that user's password by removing the password.)

Rather than editing this file, it would be safer to just remove it.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

missing delimiters when mysql output is redirected to log file

Hi, Pls check that '|' and '+' present in Step-1 are not copied to log file in Step-3. Pls suggest how to get the exact output from Step-1 (i.e. with out losing '|' and '+') in to a log file ~Thanks Step-1: Execute command > mysql -utest -ptest -htesthost testdb -e "select * from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
3 Replies

2. Programming

Read redirected file from stdin in C (a.out < file)

Hello everybody, Having a file with the following content: 192.168.0.254->192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2->192.168.0.34 192.168.0.56->192.168.0.77 I need to code a program in C to read it from stdin redirection (i.e. root@box~# ./a.out < file), my question is, how can i do that? I've tried with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

3. AIX

sync samba pwd with aix5.3 pwd

currently, my samba login works just fine. i want my clients to use aix5.3 account to login to samba so they don't have to change samba pwd and aix pwd. i googled, and vi /usr/lib/smb.conf per some of knowledge base, but i could not get to work. aix5.3 and samba 3.0.24.0 thanks in advace..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/}

Can anyone explain this in detail ... echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/} Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

no data redirected to a file with top and grep - why?

HI all, I want to capture cpu data in batch mode of "top" command and redirect to a file like this: top -b > cpu.dat it works! But I want to capture only Cpu lines, so i have: top -b | grep ^Cpu >cpu.dat Then I got an empty output file. Why? Could somebody explain and help me to make it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirected output not going to file for all cases

I have to confirm that an engine was not able to run. In the output below you see that it indeed got errors, but it didn't send those messages to the output file. When I run the same thing with a different executable it works. So does this mean something in the executable could cause it not to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing redirected file inside script

hi, Is there a way to access the redirected file inside the script. Here is what the command line looks like: $ shar * > archive_file.arc I know I can't access the name of archive_file.arc with positional parameters like $1, $2.. Is there any way to figure out what file the output of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
3 Replies

8. AIX

search for a file - errors redirected

hi all, i do search for a file in solaris box in the following format find / -name 'file' -print 2>/dev/null i tried the same thing on AIX box; as i am searching from the root the same way i redirected the errors to /dev/null but find is showing strip off errors and when i just continued... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f a log file redirected into a new window?

Is this possible? I am attempting to display a new xterm window and tail -f the log file within that new window. I am currently working on a solaris 8 machine if that has any different meaning than the other platforms. As you can see, I am a newbie to this forum and to UNIX. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving a redirected file

What command do I use in order to save a file in directory A/B/C to directory A/D/E. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSP
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question