etc aliases

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting etc aliases
# 1  
Old 08-01-2008
Tools etc aliases

Hello:

i have several server with own etc aliases. right now i want to combine it all into a general etc aliases in a new freebsd server. cause it consist hundred thousand of record user inside how to make a shell script to combine it or configure it.

all etc aliases record example: JOHN : 1234567@[10.0.0.2]
name : ID @[ WEBMAIL SERVER]

please consult..Thanks
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unsetting aliases

Within a session we have created some aliases. How to unset all the aliases in the session or specific alias? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

[Solved] Aliases in HP-UX

Hi folks, How can I make an alias in HP-UX? I've tried to add something just like this bye='exit' (as example), the system accepted but when I write bye in the terminal its return with invalid command. When I make such alias in RedHat or Fedora the system accept it right there, what is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Aliases in a script

Hi all, I have and alias set in .profile like alias ll='ls -la' I am writing a shell script in which i am using "ll" but it gives command not found . Can anyone please tell me how source aliases in the script we write do i need to define it again in every script i write is there any oher... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Mail Aliases

I'm at a bit of a loss here, any help is appreciated... I have Solaris 10, and in submit.cf, sendmail.cf I have the mail relay setup to our companys relay server which works fine when I type a full email address on the command like (i.e. #echo hello | mail me@work.com). However, I am trying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aliases In Unix

Hi, I am new to Unix. I want to know how to setup aliases in Unix. Mean if i write a particular word say scripts then it should take me to scripts directory. Kindly help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amritansur
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting aliases

How come if I set an alias as such: alias dt 'date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"' it will work as intended, ie the command 'dt' does prompt the date and time, but not when invoked through a script as such: #!/bin/sh alias dt 'date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"' The OS is FreeBSD 7.1. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man aliases

Can any one show me how to create an alias account that silently copies local emails to the administrator (root) using a linux cmd line or GUI? The answer needs to be very simplly explained at this stage, as I am new to the command prompt...expecialy in linux. thanks heaps guys Pipa:) I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pipa
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aliases

Is there a way to view what aliases are running on a given session? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

9. Programming

aliases

Hi. I have a C program that is using the **environ pointer and I am trying to set up aliases for a system("/bin/ksh") call. This works for other environment variables but not for the aliases. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks ahead of time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mluey61
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail / Aliases

I'm trying to make a script that will automatically read incoming mail, parse the recipient, then send a file off to the recipient. (Name of file = mail.pl) #!/usr/bin/perl $mailDir = "/var/spool/mail/" $user = print `cat <STDIN> | grep To: | cut -b5-`; print `elm -s Awaiting Mail $user <... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ComTec
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
which(1)						      General Commands Manual							  which(1)

NAME
which - locate a program file including aliases and paths SYNOPSIS
[name...] DESCRIPTION
For each name given, searches for the file that would be executed if name were given as a command, and displays the absolute path of that file. Each argument is expanded if it is aliased, and searched for along the user's path. Both aliases and path are determined by sourc- ing (executing) the user's file. DIAGNOSTICS
A diagnostic is given for names that are aliased to more than a single word, or if an executable file with the argument name was not found in the path. EXAMPLES
The command: specifies where the executable program of the sh(1) command is found. For example, the response might be: if the sh(1) being used is located in WARNINGS
reports aliases even when not invoked from csh. cannot find built-in commands (e.g., jobs). information may be incorrect because it is unaware of any path or alias changes that have occurred in the current shell session. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
source of aliases and path values which(1)