Unable to check / filesystem

Operating Systems Solaris Unable to check / filesystem
# 1  
Old 07-28-2008
Unable to check / filesystem

Hi buddies, I have T1000 and Solaris 10 installed on it. After a power failure system shut down improperly.
Error Message is
WARNING - Unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck
manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0).

Jul 18 10:16:09 svc.startd[7]: svc:/system/filesystem/usr:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/fs-usr" failed with exit status 95.
Jul 18 10:16:09 svc.startd[7]: system/filesystem/usr:default failed fatally: transitioned to maintenance (see 'svcs -xv' for details)
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run

I am not able to run it in a single user mode so that i start fsck to repair and T1000 dont have CDROM,

Can any one help me.
# 2  
Old 07-28-2008
I am not sure about solaris, but there is rescue mode available with linux to resolve such kind of issues. You need bootable os cd for that. Check online if solaris has something like this.

- nilesh
# 3  
Old 07-28-2008
download the soaris media (it's free) an boot, as sugested, from dvd and do a "fsck" for the filesystems. also have a look at the log files provided by "svcs -xv".
do you use veritas volume manager on your server? if so, have a look here:
Bootdisk encapsulation fails on New Sun Niagara (T2000) systems running Solaris 10

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 07-28-2008 at 01:09 PM..
# 4  
Old 07-29-2008
Boot the system into single user mode and run fsck for all the filesystems as well. To be safe, detach the mirrors, try to boot the system on a single disk to check integrity.
# 5  
Old 07-29-2008
duke - he says he doesn't have cdrom. anyway, what i'm curious about is how you gathered he maybe running vxvm? obviously looking at that page shows the exact type of error he is seeing but i'm guessing you ran into this situation with sun4v? we have a bunch of sun4v's (t5220's and t5120's) so i'm definitely curious about this. however, none of them run veritas.

--

ahsen - what commands (if any) did you use to try and get into single user? also, i take it the machine is at the maintenance prompt?
# 6  
Old 07-29-2008
external dvd-drive? any other methods we can think of?
# 7  
Old 08-01-2008
Hi

U can run Fsck on the filesystem /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 and then check it whether it is booting and showing the login prompt.

If it does not , then some of the data would have corrupted.

But ensure , urun Fsck manually..

Regds,
Jegan
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Filesystem unable unmount

Hi all , I have issue oracle filesystem name /oracle/SID unable to unmount even though no any process are running mentioned fs .would appreciate anyone assist further high level .my system running aix 6.1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arulji
7 Replies

2. AIX

Command to check on which vg filesystem resides

Hi, I need to know on which volume group filesystem resides. TIA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

Unable to write files on a filesystem

hi mounted filesystem is 50% and appropriate permissions were there but im still unable to write files ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshz
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to mount ext4 filesystem (created from Ubuntu) in Solaris 11

Hello everyone, I am trying to mount an ext4 filesystem which I created from Ubuntu. But mount command fails saying: prakhar@Solaris:~$ sudo mount /dev/dsk/c10t0d0p1 /mnt Password: mount: /dev/dsk/c10t0d0p1 is not this fstype And I also tried this: prakhar@Solaris:~$ fstyp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prakhar Mishra
6 Replies

5. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if NAS filesystem is mounted

Anyone know the best way to check and see if a NAS filesystem is mounted on a linux box. I have no idea where to start :wall:. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3mon_spawn
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to check Utilization of single filesystem

Hi all I am facing high utilization of my root partition. below is the output of df -h bash-3.00# df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 9.9G 9.4G 406M 96% / /devices 0K 0K 0K 0% /devices ctfs ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: waqasahsan
13 Replies

8. AIX

How to check if a filesystem is part of a cluster

Hello, - How do I know if a filesystem is part of a cluster? - Or do I have to check if the vg related to the fs is part of a cluster instead? if so, how do I check it? - I would also need to check if there are vxfs type inside aix machines and if there are, how do I know if that type of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I check if I have raw filesystem on unix/linux

Hello again. Please can someone tell me how can i check if my filesystem is raw on unix/linux ? Is there some file to check or something like that to be sure ? also , when i do : $ ls -l /dev/rdisk i get among other things , this also(there resides are oracle related files) : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent:FileSystem Check Script

This script monitors a FileSystem named /Monthly and send a page; works great but I need to monitor /Daily/All ....Im getting Syntax Error MSG=`df -Ik|awk '$6~/Monthly$/{gsub("%"," "); if ($5>20){print "FS:Monthly filesystem is "$5"%"}}'` if then echo $MSG | mail 2149724690@mobilecomm.net... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Openware
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question