How-to: copying gzip on other servers

Operating Systems AIX How-to: copying gzip on other servers
# 1  
Old 06-25-2009
How-to: copying gzip on other servers

We have 22 servers where 3 of them have gzip 1.2.4 installed on our AIX 4.2 .

If I want to copy that gzip unto all the other servers, is it simply a matter of compying the /usr/local/bin/gzip or do I also have to copy other files (librairies, ...) ?

I sent an email to the gzip support group about 2 weeks ago. I haven't received any emails yet.
# 2  
Old 06-25-2009
Why not just install it? The gzip package does come with more than just gzip itself, though most appear to be gunzip support for common utils like less, more, grep
# 3  
Old 06-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpears
Why not just install it? The gzip package does come with more than just gzip itself, though most appear to be gunzip support for common utils like less, more, grep
It has been installed a long time ago and I do not think the people here know where the package is (on the server or on a cd, floppy, ...). In other words, I assume I will not be able to find the package anywhere.
# 4  
Old 06-25-2009
My AIX 4.3 system shows it as being in the: freeware.gnu.gzip.rte package:

# lslpp -w /usr/local/bin/gzip
File Fileset Type
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/local/bin/gzip
freeware.gnu.gzip.rte File

The list of files should give you an idea of what needs to be copied:

# lslpp -f freeware.gnu.gzip.rte
Fileset File
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Path: /usr/lib/objrepos
freeware.gnu.gzip.rte 1.2.4.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/README
/usr/local/bin/zdiff
/usr/local/info/gzip.info
/usr/local/man/man1/zdiff.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/algorithm.doc
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/TODO
/usr/local/bin/zforce
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/sample/makecrc.c
/usr/local/man/man1/zcmp.1 -> /usr/local/man/man1/zdiff.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/sample
/usr/local/man/man1/gunzip.1 -> /usr/local/man/man1/gzip.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/COPYING
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/THANKS
/usr/local
/usr/local/bin/zcat -> /usr/local/bin/gzip
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/sample/ztouch
/usr/local/man/man1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/INSTALL
/usr/local/bin/gunzip -> /usr/local/bin/gzip
/usr/local/man/man1/zforce.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/sample/sub.c
/usr/local/man/man1/zgrep.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4
/usr/local/bin/gzip
/usr/local/bin/zcmp -> /usr/local/bin/zdiff
/usr/local/bin/znew
/usr/local/man/man1/znew.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/sample/add.c
/usr/local/man/man1/zmore.1
/usr/local/bin/zmore
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/NEWS
/usr/local/man/man1/gzexe.1
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/man
/usr/local/bin/gzexe
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/sample/zread.c
/usr/local/bin/zgrep
/usr/local/info
/usr/local/man/man1/gzip.1
/usr/local/lib/gzip-1.2.4/sample/zfile
/usr/local/man/man1/zcat.1 -> /usr/local/man/man1/gzip.1

If that isn't enough, perhaps the IBM gzip RPM (for AIX 5.2) might run:
IBM AIX Toolbox download information
# 5  
Old 06-25-2009
Doing a google search using: aix gzip 1.2.4 "index of"
provides many links, particularly the first result
# 6  
Old 06-26-2009
Bug

just copy /usr/local/bin/gzipSmilie
# 7  
Old 06-27-2009
Moderative intermission

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashok
just copy /usr/local/bin/gzipSmilie
It has been argued above (and with very convincing reasons so) that this is not the best/recommended way to do it.

I am always glad to see someone joining our forum and willing to do some AIX support, but: please do only give advice where you are positively sure to "know better" than what has already beeen stated. A low post counter will not hurt your credibility at all while giving advice where you aren't able to add to the knowledge base will do damage to your reputation here.

Thanks for your consideration.

---------- Post updated at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:47 PM ----------

Install the complete package at any rate! The reason (if nothing else) is: you will see the installed package in all the package management tools which are usually used to do version management and software management at the OS level. An admin who wants to know if gzip is installed will usually issue "lslpp -l | grep -i gzip" or something such and not starting to search for some obscure executable of dubious origin.

A second reason is that you can remove an installed package as a whole from the system whereas it is nearly impossible to "roll back" the system to a state before installation if you only copy files around. This might work for one executable or a second one, but as you install more and more files onto more and more systems your are guaranteed to lose an accurate picture of what is installed where and you will soon end up with systems which cannot be rebuilt to a specific point because nobody knows what is going on on them.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for connecting multiple servers and then copying 30 days old files

Shell script for connecting multiple servers and then copying 30 days old files from those server . HI , I have 6 multiple servers pla1,pla2,pla3,pla4,pla5,pla6 1. These six servers have common shared mount point /var/share 2. Running script from /var/share to connect these servers.I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcroyal88
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Copying files between two remote servers

Hi All, Please help me for a shell. I am a New to unix I am trying to DB dump file from one server and copying it to another server. From My Local ServerA connecting to remote ServerB using ssh and taking dump of a instance. That Dump file i need to copy to ServerC. I am able to connect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyd2k
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gzip

if ;then echo "mrnet greater 5000" gzip /var/log/mrnet.log /var/log/mrnet.log.1.gz fi i'm looking if mrnet.log is bigger then 5000 then compress mrnet.log to mrnet.log.1.gz but it won't compress. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Froob
3 Replies

4. AIX

Copying files between two servers

Hi, I have a 60 GB file (tar file) in server1 and I have mounted server2 (using nfs mount) on server1 and then I am copying the file from server1 to server2. Even after 6 hours, the file copying is still not completed. It has just copied 20 GB of file so far. Please help me identify this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qAnand
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to gzip files "on fly" before copying

Hello, I want to gzip some files before copying to remote host. There is no freespace on source host so it needs to be perfomed within one-liner. I tried the following but it didn't work gzip -c -9 all_rvds.xml |ssh targethost "dd of=/tmp/all_rvds.xml.gz" cat all_rvds.xml |gzip -c9 |ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from unix servers to other locations e.g. C directory

Hi, I am just wondering is it possible to move or copy a file from a UNIX server to a different location e.g. the C drive on a computer? I have used the cp command to move files to different locations on unix servers but it would be handy to move a file to my C drive. I am currently... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

Hi, I want to gzip files in loop. for i in `ls *.xml`; do gzip $i; done But i am gettin error like "/usr/bin/ls: Arg list too long" Also please tell me how to do it with while loop and also using find and then exec. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
7 Replies

9. SCO

gzip

ciao a tutti, premesso che sono un principiante di unix, avrei bisogno di gzip/gunzip e SOPRATTUTTO delle istruzioni (ahimè dettagliatissime, come per un bimbo!) per installarlo... grazie mille, ciao (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfran2002
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using gzip

Hi, I am trying to unzip a file that I unmounted onto a unix machine from a cd I had burned in a Windows machine. The file I am trying to unzip is a .tar file... it was originally a .tar.gz file because it was zipped using gzip. I have tried: % gzip -d hpux.tar (where hpux.tar is the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattie_h
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question