Working of file command

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Working of file command
# 1  
Old 05-13-2008
Working of file command

Hi,

we are using sun solaris 9 os. I want to know how the file command works?
How does it differentiate text files, data files and other files ?
Is there any relationship between environmental variables and file command?
# 2  
Old 05-13-2008
Generally file command takes a look inside the file and guesses based on heuristics or magic bytes (for formats that have some).
# 3  
Old 05-13-2008
The magic(5) manual page explains the database format used by file(1).

The ENVIRONMENT section of the file(1) manual page (obviously) explains its interactions with environment variables.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not working for me to change text in a file

UNIX gurus I need your help with the following (The server is an AIX box). I have a text file with the following information: ******************************************************** SOME LINES case :WORD1 SOME LINES :WORD2 SOME LINES :WORD3 SOME LINES esac SOME LINES... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiousmal
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed working on command line but file unchanged when execute with Shell script

I have a simple task to replace unix line feed end of line characters with carriage returns. When I run the following “change file in place” sed instruction from the command line all the Line feeds are successfully replaced with Carriage returns. sed -i 's/$/\r/' lf_file.txt But that same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawkman2k
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command not working to display Mac file in Ubuntu

Hi, Recently I got a .txt file from Mac user. when I try to open it in my Ubuntu machine using cat command it is not displaying any content of file however I can see the content using vi. Anyone know How to see its content using cat as I have to process it in my shell script. Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maxdepth command not working in AIX.Need alternative solution for this command

Hi All, I am trying to select 30 days older files under current directory ,but not from subdirectory using below command. find <Dir> -type f -mtime + 30 This command selecting all the files from current directory and also from sub directory . I read some documention through internet ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kommineni
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command on .DAT file not working?

Hi All, I am trying to run awk command on .DAT file and it is not working. The same command is working on .txt file: Contents of the file ZZ_55555555_444444_ZZZZZZ_7777777_888_99.DAT: HEADER|ZZ_55555555_444444_ZZZZZZ_7777777_888_99.DAT... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar.cumar
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp command not working in script for non unix file

Piece of code in sh file ------------------------ echo "lalit test bef" which cp cp $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile echo "lalit test after" echo "**************************options below" echo "loption $l_options" echo "src $srcdirfile" echo "destinat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send working command to a specified file or desktop

Hi Is there any way to save the command using on the terminal to a specified file with out typing it in a word. for ex. awk '{print $1)' input.txt Is it possible to save (in wordpad or microsoftword) and send the text of the command "awk '{print $1)' input.txt" to a targetted file in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

10. Solaris

/etc/profile file edited. No command working

I have X4500 and I created a user. I wanted to give him root privileges and for editing the sudoers files I typed visudo sudoers. But it said visudo command not found. After googling I found that we need to set path in etc/profile. I edited that and put the following command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question