Intrusion Detection - System Call Introspection

Special Forums Cybersecurity Intrusion Detection - System Call Introspection
# 1  
Old 03-31-2009
Intrusion Detection - System Call Introspection

can u give me a code for host based intrusion detection using system call introspection...
# 2  
Old 04-08-2009
I think u need to buy something like tripwire...
# 3  
Old 04-09-2009
You could also try OSSEC it a freeware
# 4  
Old 04-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFullerMalv
I think u need to buy something like tripwire...
Tripwire does not provide system call introspection.
# 5  
Old 04-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Capsa
You could also try OSSEC it a freeware
OSSEC does not provide system call introspection. OSSEC is an Open Source Host-based Intrusion Detection System. It performs log analysis, file integrity checking, policy monitoring, rootkit detection, real-time alerting and active response.

System call introspection is not log analysis, etc.
# 6  
Old 04-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind007
can u give me a code for host based intrusion detection using system call introspection...
Before you can define a host-based intrusion detection system using system call introspection, you must specify your operating system, your application, and the APIs into your system that would interface with an IDS.

What is your platform, your application and APIs?

----
Note: Refer to the attached paper on BlueBox, a host-based IDS research project that uses Linux kernel modifications for system call introspection. One of the main issues with system call introspection is, generally speaking, the requirement to modify the kernel so system calls can be inspected.

Also note: The attached paper describes a rule-based approach for system call introspection. A rule-based approach alone, while this approach does have value, is inefficient and labor intensive. A machine-learning algorithm that crunches events from system call introspection APIs is requires for more advanced, complex analysis.

Last edited by Neo; 04-09-2009 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: added notes.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection

Hey, for the purpose of a research project I need to know if a specific type of parallel processing is being utilized by any user-run programs. Is there a way to detect whether a program either returns a value to another program at the end of execution, or just utilizes any form of parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
4 Replies

2. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

3. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need bash script Intrusion Detection on Linux

Hello all I have a script but I failed on the creation of Script is any is carried out in the shell sends the owner of the server, the message is has been implemented For example, functioned as a detection system intruders but in smaller Is it possible to help if you allow I want the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple intrusion detection script

If you have a very static Linux server and you want to make sure it's not messed with, here's a simple script that will tell you if any files have been tampered with. It's not as fancy or as secure as tripwire or those others, but it is very simple. It can be easily adapted to any *NIX OS. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question