how to get line number of different words if exists in same line

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get line number of different words if exists in same line
# 1  
Old 07-21-2008
how to get line number of different words if exists in same line

I have some txt files. I have to create another text file which contains the portion starting from the format "Date Sex Address" to the end of the file. While using grep -n on Date it also gives me the previous line containg Date. and also Date may be DATE in some files.
My file is like this
Name:
Mod Date
Mod By
Description
Date Sex Address

I want my new file to contain from "Date sex " to the end of file. thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 07-21-2008
Something like this should do it:

Code:
awk '/^Date Sex Address/{f=1;next}f' file > newfile

Regards
# 3  
Old 07-21-2008
Hi,
I need the line number which contains these three words if contain in the same line.
# 4  
Old 07-21-2008
Like this?
Code:
awk '/^Date Sex Address/ || /^DATE Sex Address/ {print NR}' infile

# 5  
Old 07-21-2008
Assuming that the pattern is "Date Sex Address" and not any combination thereof
Code:
$ sed -n '/Date Sex Address/=' file

# 6  
Old 07-21-2008
I want the line number from the file which contains all the 3 words using any unix command or utility. i am intrested in getting the line number
# 7  
Old 07-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiya Rath
I want the line number from the file which contains all the 3 words using any unix command or utility. i am intrested in getting the line number
Code:
grep -n 'Date Sex Address' file

Regards
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of words in line, while loop, search and grep

Hello, What I wish to attain is: - to read fileA line by line - search entire line as string in fileB - when found, grep the next line in fileB - then merge "searched line" and "found line" in a new file, fileC Here is my fileA: T S Eliot J L Borges L Aragon L L Aragon T S Eliot 4 0... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/grep: check if line exists, if not add line?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the following as I want to use multiple commands to search thousands of files. is there a way to speed things up? Example I want to search a bunch of files for a specific line, if this line already exists do nothing, if it doesn't exist add it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in multiple file line by line

Hi All I have to search servers name say like 1000+ "unique names" line by line in child.txt files in another file that is a master file where all server present say "master.txt",if child.txt's server name matches with master files then it print yes else no with server name. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print number of words in each line

Hi, Please suggest a way to print number of words in the end of each line. <input file> red aunt house blue sky bat and ball game <output file> red aunt house 3 blue sky 2 bat and ball game 4 Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mira
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying x words from end of line to specific location in same line

Hello all i know it is pretty hard one but you will manage it all after noticing and calculating i find a rhythm for the file i want to edit to copy the last 12 characters in line but the problem is to add after first 25 characters in same line in other way too copy the last 12 characters... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: princesasa
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the words in the same line with space or to the predefined line?

HI, cat test abc echo "def" >> test output is cat test abc def the needed output is cat test abc def and so on (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobycxa
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to serach if a new line character exists on the last line in a file

I have a file in which I need to search if a new line character exists on the last line in the file. Please let me know how can I achieve it using Unix commands? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilbm78
10 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question